Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   When did and who taught you to sew? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-did-who-taught-you-sew-t135888.html)

purplefiend 07-08-2011 01:51 PM

I learned to sew when I was 10, Mom and Grandma Ruth taught me. I taught myself to quilt when I was 30.

sylvia77 07-08-2011 02:16 PM

I taught myself.

laalaaquilter 07-08-2011 02:19 PM

My sister taught me the summer I was 15. (she is 13 years my senior, I learn a LOT from her) I picked out the fabric and a pattern for a blouse and skirt set and got busy. Don't know why she didn't advise me against gathers for my first project...;-)

marilyynb 07-08-2011 02:22 PM

i was about 10 years and in 4-h, we hemmed a tea towel by hand, then when in high school and it has stuck with every since

mountain deb 07-08-2011 02:34 PM

What came first, the sewing machine or Mom. They go hand in hand. So I think it was more osmosis than anything else.

madamekelly 07-08-2011 03:44 PM

My first real sewing project was a pillow I made for my first year in 4H. It was black satin with a purchased filet crochet picture of a horse stitched to the front. That stupid satin wouldn't hold the stuffing in the corners, and I've hated satin ever since.

I had one of those black satin kits. Finished it. Never did another embroidery on satin. :shock:

Cosy 07-08-2011 04:05 PM

Mom insisted all her girls learn to sew, but out of the six, only 3 of us still do. I was sewing simple stuff by the time I was 9. Did 4-H at ten,made an apron and tea-towels: won a blue ribbon!! Made dresses by 12. Sewed my entire professional wardrobe at 22. Made my own wedding dress. Made most of my kids' clothes until they started school, when they wanted stuff like their friends. Made my 1st quilt at 14, been at all of it since then. That's almost 60 years of sewing! Started on my Mom's black Singer straght stitch. I wish I knew what happened to it, the last I saw it was in 1964 when I went to college, and my folks moved to a different city. Probably went to a thrift shop. Darn, wish I'd known the value! When I returned home some 10 years later, she was using a Bernina, which she used until her death. That went to my sister who sews professionally.

unclefreckles 07-08-2011 07:04 PM

My Mother had an old treadle machine and she taught me to use it when I was about 10; then joined the 4-H ( my family were sheep and cattle ranchers) Then in Jr Hi started with the old Home Ec classes. Participated in competitive sewing with Make It Yourself with Wool contests. Just couldn't get enough of the great feeling that comes when you have made something that is useful and great looking.

QuiltnLady1 07-08-2011 07:38 PM

In June of 1950 we moved in with my Grandma because I Dad was sent to Korea. I was 4 and bored because my Mom had to work a double shift as a nurse. Grandma started by teaching me to knit, crochet, but then a neighbor in the garment industry brought me some scraps. My Aunt taught me to cut out doll clothes and Grandma taught me to hand sew them. As soon as I was tall enough to see over the top of her White tredal, she taught me how to use it (she also bought me a "toy" iron that got really hot and an ironing board). I made my first skirt for me out of some of the scraps.

Crazy Quiltin Robin 07-08-2011 08:39 PM

My momma taught me to sew and knit .... cook and clean ....
nurture and love ........ I sure do miss her