Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   When do you call it "quits" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-do-you-call-%22quits%22-t54387.html)

earthwalker 07-14-2010 12:06 AM

I think you probably already know your limit has been reached. It's not always easy to end relationships, even when they are becoming toxic. You really do have to look after your own interests before those of friends who just couldn't be bothered organising their lives or finances.

Remember the fable about the ant and the grasshopper? Stop letting the grasshoppers of this world take liberties!

Rainy Day 07-14-2010 12:41 AM

Yep, go pick it up, and get your cash. If you'd saved my business, I would have take you with me to Florida! :shock:

ConnieF 07-14-2010 01:08 AM

Just want to say sorry but be strong. I to had to cut a I thought was a friend off too... then a couple of year's later she ask me back over so I though OK and I went and it was the same thing so I told her she'd figure it out and I never went back she hasn't called back. I just let her know I was tired of the one sided I always help her and share and she never did...
Hey there are many more friendships you migth be missing.
Remember when God closes a door he opens a window.
ConnieF

magpie 07-14-2010 01:32 AM

You'll know when you've had enough. Like others have said, just say no to borrowing anything. She may drop you as a friend, for that, but if she does, she was never a real friend.

fabric-holic 07-14-2010 02:45 AM

I once had a marriage counselor who always told me "If something's making you ask yourself 'should I or shouldn't I?', then you already know the answer".

Darlene 07-14-2010 02:57 AM

I have this friend whom I have known for almost 30 years. I recently realized I have nothing in common with her. I feel bad about it but I am not going to be seeing her anymore.

raptureready 07-14-2010 03:16 AM

I had a quilting friend that went to Paducah with me two years ago. She was a "gimme" friend. Always asking, always saying that she'd pay back and when it came time to do so would force a some piece of junk on me as pay back. Well, before we went to Paducah I told her, "Make sure you have your own money, I'm not buying lunch or anything else, I only have enough money for me." To make a long story short due to "dying for a drink" I handed her $4. She bought the biggest drink she could. On the way home I found out she had a bunch of money in her wallet. That was it, if she didn't value our friendship more than $4 then neither did I. I cut off all contact with her and suddenly my rulers, rotary cutter, books, fabric, etc. quit coming up missing.

raptureready 07-14-2010 03:21 AM

I had a quilting friend that went to Paducah with me two years ago. She was a "gimme" friend. Always asking, always saying that she'd pay back and when it came time to do so would force a some piece of junk on me as pay back. Well, before we went to Paducah I told her, "Make sure you have your own money, I'm not buying lunch or anything else, I only have enough money for me." To make a long story short due to "dying for a drink" I handed her $4. She bought the biggest drink she could. On the way home I found out she had a bunch of money in her wallet. That was it, if she didn't value our friendship more than $4 then neither did I. I cut off all contact with her and suddenly my rulers, rotary cutter, books, fabric, etc. quit coming up missing.
Some people, no matter how much we like them, just aren't good friends to have. I'd do what everyone else does, charge her the $6000 PLUS interest, PLUS your bank fees, PLUS an "returned check" fee. If she didn't want to pay all that then I'd take back the horse and carriage and take her to small claims for the bank fees.
Let me go back and get this straight..... She has the money to go on vacation but not to pay her bills????? Makes me wonder just how good of care your horse is getting.

donnajean 07-14-2010 03:34 AM

I have a 49 yr. old nephew whose mother (my sister) lost her battle with cancer in 2001. This nephew would not speak to me from 2001 until last fall when he called me for help as they were in credit card trouble as well as being behind on their mortgage. They are in IN & I am in PA. I paid off a couple loans for them as they were paying 18% & 16% interest & set up a budget. They are making payments to me & I should be paid back by Christmas. I got involved as I felt that my sister passed the bad spending habits on to her son. I spent a great deal of time getting all the facts & putting on paper the money coming in & the expenses. However, I have not been able to get them to change their ways. Every month something is purchased that is not in the tight budget - that they just "have to have". They think "everything" is purchased as soon as you want it by a loan payment and that an emergency fund is the next paycheck. I, however, don't buy something unless I have money to pay for it. Needless to say, I will probably lose all contact with nephew & wife when I refuse to lend any more money. I have since found out that one of the high interest loans I paid off was for a racing car that they bought 4 yrs. ago. I had thought I paid off a loan on my nephews truck & did not want him to lose his truck. His wife drives over 100mi. each way to work & is driving a car with 185,000 miles on it. I'm just praying her car does not die before they get me paid back. I don't think they will ever learn to live within their means & I just don't need the stress at this point in my life.

CarrieAnne 07-14-2010 03:46 AM

Why is it that thenice people always get taken advantage of? I had a friend like that too, could never aford her rent or utilities....I would help her out , not looking at the big picture. She drank, alot, and always went out and bought the nicest clothes.
Pam, you have to be the one that decides, butI think you are being too nice, and time to let her go use someone else!