Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   When does one become "elderly"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-does-one-become-elderly-t289911.html)

bearisgray 07-25-2017 02:57 PM

I think I worry more about my mind getting babyish!

Boston1954 07-25-2017 03:16 PM

I have days when I feel that's me right now at 63. They are increasing. I have had many days recently when I get up at 8 and need a nap at noon. I guess I am getting up there now.

nativetexan 07-25-2017 03:22 PM

When one starts calling others by endearments. Ask me how I know....

grandma nurse 07-25-2017 03:26 PM

I never felt elderly until I couldnt get around. I kept my hair dyed light brown and decided to let it go gray. With my skin coloring I look bad. Then add a hunched over walk! When I looked in the mirror it was frighting. I couldn't take it especially because I always looked younger then my age. 70 hit me hard, messed with my mind a bunch. Plus hurting in my back brought on depression. It sure hasn't been easy. I did recolor my hair but it just isn't the same anymore. I hate to be out and about because of the pain and using a walker. Maybe I have to much pride but I can't imagine what I will be like in another 6 months let alone another year. I have no energy and only want to stay in the house and play in my sewing room. I think I look and feel elderly at 71 and that is to young to feel this way.

QuiltnNan 07-25-2017 04:48 PM

one dictionary says it's when one is past their prime.

Anniedeb 07-25-2017 05:24 PM

People in their 80's + seem elderly to me. I know that generalizes! I'm 66 and most people that I know that are my age don't seem "old". We are fortunate to still have good health, and no problems getting around. We are active, and have been told on several occasions that we look lots younger than our ages. Sometimes I believe the adage that you are only as old as you feel!

D.Henson 07-25-2017 05:49 PM

When I was younger (in my 20's ), I used to think 60 was really old!! Now, I'm 60 (and that sounds really old), but I dont think I'm old! I agree with Anniedeb, you're as old as you feel; however, some days I do "feel" old. Haha. I think 60 is the new 40!! And, I'm sure I'll feel differently at age 70+. Taking in day by day!! @ Grandma nurse: I sure hope you feel better soon and so happy you can still hang out in your sewing room. :o

SusieQOH 07-25-2017 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by grandma nurse (Post 7871439)
I never felt elderly until I couldnt get around. I kept my hair dyed light brown and decided to let it go gray. With my skin coloring I look bad. Then add a hunched over walk! When I looked in the mirror it was frighting. I couldn't take it especially because I always looked younger then my age. 70 hit me hard, messed with my mind a bunch. Plus hurting in my back brought on depression. It sure hasn't been easy. I did recolor my hair but it just isn't the same anymore. I hate to be out and about because of the pain and using a walker. Maybe I have to much pride but I can't imagine what I will be like in another 6 months let alone another year. I have no energy and only want to stay in the house and play in my sewing room. I think I look and feel elderly at 71 and that is to young to feel this way.

It sounds like back pain has really impacted your life. Are you being treated? And how about for depression? You may feel older b/c of all this but inside you sound young. I hope you get the help you need. Glad you have fun in your sewing room though :)

oksewglad 07-25-2017 06:10 PM

LOL..my 11 yo GD says 70 is old...thank goodness I'm not there yet! There are days when I pass by a mirror and ask who is that woman...I'm young and thin on the inside!

Doggramma 07-25-2017 06:39 PM

I just turned 65 and definitely don't feel elderly yet. it's funny though. My husband and I will say look at that old guy over there. And I bet that old guy is younger than us. Hopefully elderly will be something that's always a good 10 years away from whatever age we are.