Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   When I was little - some things I thought - that are not so - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-i-little-some-things-i-thought-not-so-t296880.html)

Jo Anne B. 05-13-2018 06:30 AM

There was a laundry detergent(maybe Arm and Hammer?) commercial featuring a huge forearm and fist that would rise out of the washing machine. I was too afraid to get even close to the washing machine. Thank goodness that fear didn't last a lifetime.

bearisgray 05-13-2018 06:44 AM

I think there was a radio program called "The Squeaking Door" - and it was sponsored by Lava soap - but I would have sworn that it was spelled "l a b a"

IceLeopard 05-13-2018 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8056859)
When I put money in the bank, I would get the same money back.

My MIL thought something similar well into her 60s! She was convinced that there was a box in the vault with her name on it, and when she wrote a check someone would pull out her signature card and compare it to the signature on the check. Then they would go to her box and take out some cash and put it in the payee's box!

Kitsie 05-13-2018 07:38 AM

When you put money in a parking meter it rolled down the tube, then rolled all the way to the police station! Doesn't it?

mac 05-13-2018 09:49 AM

That 'all cats were girls' and 'all dogs were boys'.

When I was in the 4th grade, I ran all the way home, as fast as I could because the kids in school were saying that some people had found a gigantic T-shirt that covered several hills and it belonged to a giant. It scared me to death. When I got home, I told my mom, she couldn't stop laughing.

JenniePenny 05-13-2018 10:06 AM

My son told me with an important voice when he was about 8 years old that the reason dump trucks had a sign on the back that read, "construction vehicle - do not follow" was because they didn't want anybody to know where they were going.

Boston1954 05-13-2018 10:21 AM

Sis and I thought it was fun to play "store". When I was cashier in a dept. store, I hated it.

When I was eight, waiting for the school bus on a winter day, I thought it might warm up if everyone on the planet came out onto their front lawn and let out a breath.

Vinnie 05-13-2018 11:49 AM

I thought that rocks grew. My dad told me so, and then explained that’s why some were big and others were little.

MaggieLou 05-13-2018 01:06 PM

When my daughter was young she used to tell me I could write a check if I told her we didn't have the money for that. She didn't know you have to have money in the bank to cover the check.

Onebyone 05-13-2018 01:12 PM

My childhood was full of haints and scary stuff, myths and legends! A few: When I was little I loved olive juice from the olive jar. My mother told me it would stick my guts together if I drank it. I would sneak a drink from the jar and then drink lots of water to unstick my guts. Also If I stood upside down or hung upside down my liver would flip over. Santa would put pepper in my eyes if I was awake when he came. When with my cousins and we were all playing in a room at night and screamed and shouted we would be told we would wake the dead. I was terrified about the dead coming to get us so made everyone be quiet. If I was bad during the day at night the old devil would come and wrap a hot chain around my neck and drag me off. The Bogey Man lived behind the curtained doorway of my grandmother's pantry.