Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   when i take out my rotary cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-i-take-out-my-rotary-cutter-t200160.html)

lynnie 09-10-2012 08:06 PM

when i take out my rotary cutter

My kitty comes running.
she won't let me cut.
this is the only time she gets fresh.
she'll even try to bite me.
i guess she thinks ill cut myself.
Does anyone else ave this problem.
how do i sto it
thanks

Tartan 09-10-2012 08:16 PM

Cats can be attention hounds sometimes. I think I would try getting some cat toys that might amuse her while you work. Maybe she would enjoy a cat video? How about some cords suspended from your cutting table for her to play with. If distractions don't work, you may need to put up a child gate to keep her out of the room.

barri1 09-11-2012 02:50 AM

Think the cat would have to be drop kicked if it was an attention getting issue. The dog doesn't care if I cut, but gets annoyed when I sew. That is when we go out for a walk to change the scenerio. When we come in, we have a different attitude. It's funny, but we sometimes can't live with them, or without them.

alwayslearning 09-11-2012 03:29 AM

Is your cat trying to prevent you from injuring yourself?

Bueniebabe 09-11-2012 06:25 AM

my min pin digs at my socks for a back rub when I'm sewing or at the computer.

Rose Marie 09-11-2012 07:18 AM

Mine always want attention when Im trying to do something.
Im typing with one hand because the other is holding up a cat.
When cutting fabric he lays in the middle of the fabric so I cant cut.
He will stand on my chest to block my view when reading or watching tv and even when Im talking with someone.
He is bottle fed and very spoiled. Had him since he was so small his eyes were not open. Someone dumped him on the ground at my son in laws apartment complex. Of course since Im retired and the only one home to do feedings he became my responsibility. Cant give him up as he is attached to me now and me to him.
Hes on my avitar.

valleyquiltermo 09-11-2012 07:22 AM

A water bottle works. I only spray my cats when I don't want them on something.
HA Ha to the child gate fix they will just jump it.

nativetexan 09-11-2012 08:52 AM

Interesting. mine can't get into my sewing room. i have a bi-fold door on it. louvered for circulation since I don't have a window down there either. maybe you can put her in a room while you cut fabric.....

GrandmaNewt 09-11-2012 12:28 PM

My three cats appear as soon as I turn the light on in the sewing room. They love to be close to me when I am in there. Sometimes they want to play, other times they just want to spread out on my work table or cutting table and take a nap. I found with the two older cats, if I set a box (actually two boxes, one for each) on the edge of my cutting table or even on the floor, they will sit in the box and not bother me. Any box works, right down to little shoe boxes for the smaller of the two. The new kitten is another story, if I am in there then he wants to play. This mornings solution was to let him have a scrap of fabric (one big enough that he couldn't eat it). He drug that scrap around for about an hour playing with it.

sculpyfan 09-11-2012 02:01 PM

One of mine comes running if I start to file my fingernails. She wants to bite the file. Go figure cats that's why we love them