Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   When someone doesnt pay Lesson Learned. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-someone-doesnt-pay-lesson-learned-t153867.html)

Jingle 09-19-2011 10:30 AM

Such a shame there are so many people like this. I don't for one minute blame it on the economy. This is just the way way too many people are. They think they are too good to pay.

alwayslearning 09-19-2011 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by willferg
I know it's hard to ask for money, and in a perfect world, you shouldn't have to. But I learned from an old boss that's it's okay to ask. He would say something like, "The total you owe me for the purse is x. I know money is tight, but when do you think you can get it to me?" Get a specific date, and then on that date (if you aren't paid sooner), say, "You mentioned you'd have the money for the purse today, and I was wondering if you have it for me."

He used to say, "What did you ever buy that you didn't have to pay for?"

I don't mean to put the blame on you in any way, but letting people get away with this (and it's often unintentional forgetfulness) isn't fair to you because it makes you feel bitter and burned, and you sound like too generous a person to have to carry that burden.

Just my two cents!

I agree and do it in front of others!

FroggyinTexas 09-19-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by willferg
I know it's hard to ask for money, and in a perfect world, you shouldn't have to. But I learned from an old boss that's it's okay to ask. He would say something like, "The total you owe me for the purse is x. I know money is tight, but when do you think you can get it to me?" Get a specific date, and then on that date (if you aren't paid sooner), say, "You mentioned you'd have the money for the purse today, and I was wondering if you have it for me."

He used to say, "What did you ever buy that you didn't have to pay for?"

I don't mean to put the blame on you in any way, but letting people get away with this (and it's often unintentional forgetfulness) isn't fair to you because it makes you feel bitter and burned, and you sound like too generous a person to have to carry that burden.

Just my two cents!

Amen! Or, as my grandmother used to say, "Bless it and let it go!. One or the other so you won't have to continue to feel bad. froggyintexas

finchelover 09-19-2011 12:03 PM

this has nothing to do with quilting but my daughter when in college to earn money took the job of breaking a horse for a lady all summer she came and took the horse without paying. She told my daughter she would send her the money in a week/ she tried to get hold of her and found out she moved out of town. We weren"t home at the time/it was a hard lesson for her to learn. We told her that she should have kept the horse till she paid

GlitzyMe 09-19-2011 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle
Your boss: Ask her if you can take a few hours off in lieu of the money she owes you for the bag, or will she rather pay you in cash?

Your co-worker: Ask her the bag back because you need to get the money back for the materials that you put into it and eBay is givig away free listings right now.

This is the best reply yet......and be sure to present these are questions that require answers from them.

I also used to do fairs and show back in the 70s & 80s. Now there are too many commercial vendors at many of them and what I call 'wastebasket' crafts at others - things made with inferior or throw-away materials. I do much better dealing with a handful of antique and gift shops that buy from me direct and only carry the best workmanship. I name my price and they sell it for whatever they choose.

Donna 66 09-19-2011 01:01 PM

I make personalized pillows and always ask for a portion up front. I also make them double check the spelling, but forgot to do this on one for a friend. Wouldn't you know, I mistook her fancy "C" for a "K", so now I'm making another one :roll:

Donna

Rose_P 09-19-2011 01:13 PM

It's trickier when it's your boss, isn't it? Maybe it depends on how long you've known her. You would not be out of line, especially if you see her carrying it, to mention how long that took you to make. Maybe she'll take the hint. The woman with financial problems might be handled with a suggestion that if she can't pay cash, she could take you to lunch a few times and pay for it with a credit card. Bottom line, if they can't afford the product, they should not have agreed to buy it, and they are stealing from you and shouldn't get away with it.

luvstitches 09-19-2011 02:30 PM

So sorry this has happened to you. My husband works on computers on the side and not for a business. He can clean out viruses and get computers back to original shape.
He too would not get paid for fixing computers. They would tell him they would make a large thick steak for him and never to be done. Well, this summer I noticed her yahoo account sent out a strange email that wasn't from her so I knew she had a virus. Yep, she sure did call and he said he was very busy and that she'll have to spend the 300 dollars to get it fixed! Hmmm...a steak cooked on her grill would have been cheaper. But this happens and is a lesson learned.

Nanaquilts44 09-19-2011 03:44 PM

That is so disheartening. You are a sweetheart for making these purses.

dinlauren 09-19-2011 03:48 PM

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I hem pants for coworkers (we are all short women...lol) and tell them no charge. I always get something...a little gift or $10 gift card to Hobby Lobby or something. If they only knew how little time it takes me to hem...lol But it is always appreciated by them and their gifts are appreciated by me. It turns out to be a win-win situation. Hope the ladies step up and pay you for your work. You deserve it!!!