Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Where have all the turtles gone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/where-have-all-turtles-gone-t54621.html)

QBeth 07-15-2010 08:54 AM

When I was a kid, a zillion years ago, there were lots of turtles, frogs, toads, pooliwogs, you name it. Where have they all gone? I know acid rain was tough on them, at one point, but I thought things had gotten better.

I did have a bright spot last week, though. I saved a turtle! He/she was in the middle of a busy street where one side is dirt leading to the road, the other side with curbing. As I came up to it, it scuttled off REALLY fast even though it was only about 8 inches long. But, caught it as it ran along the curbing, trying to find a way up and away from me. So, I caught it and put in the middle of the lawn it was heading towards. Made my day!

Sugarpumpkin 07-15-2010 08:55 AM

whats a pooliwog?

QBeth 07-15-2010 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sugarpumpkin
whats a pooliwog?

Who was asking for spell checker in an earlier post??!! :oops:

Pollywog ?? A baby frog who is still in the water and hasn't grown legs. I grew up on a pond.

sharon b 07-15-2010 08:57 AM

But it may take time for them to make a come back . Glad you were able to help the turtle, many would not have cared

Sugarpumpkin 07-15-2010 08:57 AM

Thats ok, I didnt know what a pollywog was either! LOL

QBeth 07-15-2010 09:00 AM

Thats ok, I didnt know what a pollywog was either! LOL

TADPOLE!! I knew there was another name for them. Oh, where has my brain gone??

Here's the Wickepedia info:
"A tadpole, polliwog (also pollywog, polliwig, polwig, or purwiggy), or pollywiggle (also polliwiggle, polwiggle, or porwiggle) is the wholly aquatic larval stage in the life cycle of an amphibian, particularly of a frog or toad."

I kinda like "purwiggy"!! :)

ktbb 07-15-2010 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth

whats a pooliwog?

Pollywog ?? A baby frog who is still in the water and hasn't grown legs. I grew up on a pond.

first a spellchecker and now a grammar checker...if you grew up on a pond you not only can walk on water, you can also cook, clean, sew...on water..

I had fun as a kid in Missouri catching pollywogs at the edge of the Meremac River. Mom made me put them back rather than keep them in my room, bummer!

Sugarpumpkin 07-15-2010 09:00 AM

Oh! I know what a tadpole is LOL

QBeth 07-15-2010 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb

Originally Posted by QBeth

whats a pooliwog?

first a spellchecker and now a grammar checker...if you grew up on a pond you not only can walk on water, you can also cook, clean, sew...on water..

I had fun as a kid in Missouri catching pollywogs at the edge of the Meremac River. Mom made me put them back rather than keep them in my room, bummer!

I have some talents but NOT walking on water! Although, when it rains really hard.... would be handy, huh? "Growing on a pond" must be one of those colloquialisms that we use and everyone understands (at least the local natives). Anyways... thanks for the laugh.

amma 07-15-2010 09:07 AM

We don't see near as many salamanders as when I was a kid... Can't count how many that were accidentally turned loose in the house :roll: :lol: much to Mom's dismay!!!