Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Where You Live (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/where-you-live-t67398.html)

stitchinwitch 09-29-2010 08:44 AM

Do you absolutely LOVE where you live and if so, why? OR are you anxious to "get outta Dodge" and if so, why?

May in Jersey 09-29-2010 08:50 AM

I've lived here in the same house in New Jersey for over 55 years, orginally from Brooklyn, NYC, and haven't any desire to move. It's not perfect here but we like it.

Of course, if I hit a jackpot lottery I'd live everywhere, city, country, beach, mountains, US, tropical island, etc., but that's only dream talk. Anyway, I'm too old to make a big change, nice and comfy right here. May in Jersey

janRN 09-29-2010 08:57 AM

I used to love my area. Lived here for 30 years. It's a small college town. With unemployment as high as it is here a lot of homes on my street have been repossessed. What happens is parents of college students buy these homes cheaply (cheaper than 4 yrs room and board) and then rent out the rooms. I have 4 boys in a 2 bedroom house next door, 6 girls & 3 boys in a 4 bedroom house directly across from me and 3 more houses on my block with anywhere from 4-6 kids in them. Some of the houses are owned by absentee landlords. There's no maintenance and kids will be kids. The entire atmosphere has changed from a family neighborhood to block party central. I can't move yet-my mom lives nearby and she's 88 and needs my help. I hate to look ahead to her passing but when that happens, I'm out of here!!

Jim's Gem 09-29-2010 09:01 AM

I love it here. Weather is perfect year round, the beach is really close (8 miles) the Mountains are not far. We are surrounded by farm fields, so have super fresh veggies and fruit year round, LA is only 40 min away if we wanted to see great shows and stuff yet we are not part of LA, we are a small city. I have lots of great places to shop for fabrics and we even have an outlet mall in our town. The best thing of all 2 of my 4 children are staying here in the area, the eldest is closing on their home tomorrow and the 3rd is marrying a wonderful man next month who also owns a home here, so I will have grandkids nearby!!!

mosquitosewgirl 09-29-2010 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Do you absolutely LOVE where you live and if so, why? OR are you anxious to "get outta Dodge" and if so, why?

I used to not love where I live...after almost 25 years, getting used to it. The not loving it is in large part due to the weather. I grew up in a small town north of Seattle, called Lake Stevens. We had enough sunshine and enough rain, and it rarely got over 85. Where I live now, we haven't had ANY rain since June and it will be over 100 again today. I frequently feel like I'm going to dry up and blow away. Where I am now is also a fairly small town, with a lot of families that have been here for 8 or 9 generations, and for a long time felt like I would never fit in...all of a sudden over the past year or so, I have really begun to feel like I do belong. And, when we retire, it will be hard to leave in many aspects.

That being said....I have two answers to where and why...If I were to move with my husband, it will be to Montana for the flyfishing...if he doesn't have a hobby, he won't live long (because he would bug me until I had to do him in LOL). If I were moving by myself, I would return home to the Pacific Northwest. Not to the town I grew up in because it has gotten tooooooooooooo big, but further north, because I really want a small town.

And....that being said...my sister that lives here will be 70 when my husband retires. Her DILs are not the caretaking types (they are lovely - just not nurturing) and she has no daughters. When our mom was dying, my sister made me promise that I would do the same for her that we did for our mom...no one (other than Mary and I) ever saw our mom without her false teeth. Not even our dad or step-dad. My sister's husband has never seen her without hers either. So....even when my husband retires, it might not be easy to move away and not be here to take care of my sister.

Aren't you glad you asked? LOL

zyxquilts 09-29-2010 09:07 AM

I like where I live. Most of my friends are close, but my sisters are about a 6- to 8-hour drive away. I have great neighbors who keep an eye out for me, since they are mostly retired & at home a lot. The best was when one called to tell me there was a "strange truck" in my driveway....luckily it was just my bff Bill, who was there to redo my bathroom shower!
If we do the "if I win the Lottery" thing, I think I'd move maybe half-way between here & my sisters, just so the commute would be less, but my friends could still come to see me! :D

amma 09-29-2010 09:12 AM

I do like where I live, and will probably stay in this general area. Most of my family are fairly close by... or I could be tempted to move...maybe :wink:

pocoellie 09-29-2010 09:14 AM

I like where I live, no people, fresh air, 80 acres. I miss my old house and sewing room though, this home and sewing room is even less then half the size of our old house. I just have to look at it that it's only temporary, until the granddaughter is out of college-5 more years.

feline fanatic 09-29-2010 09:18 AM

I love where I live but HATE the taxes. The part of NY where I live is very close to the VT border. We have change of seasons, which I love, lots of rural area, which I love, very close to all the mountains and able to always see them on the horizon which I love and if I get a hankering for some ocean view it is only about 3 hours drive to the coast. Sometimes winter lasts a little too long and summer gets too humid but for the most part I am happy here. Unfortunately I could not afford to retire here because of the taxes.

AtHomeSewing 09-29-2010 09:20 AM

I LOVE the Pacific Northwest. We have mountain ranges, the ocean, lakes, and old growth forests, so there's lots to do and see. Best of all we have over 50 quilt shops in Western Washington.