Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   who remember clotheslines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/who-remember-clotheslines-t19913.html)

tlrnhi 05-09-2009 11:30 PM

We always had a clothesline where we lived, that is IF it were feasible. I love hanging clothes out! I think drying them in the sun made them just smell better for some reason.
Grew up with a clothesline and sometimes Mom would put the clothes out and she would see a "streaker" going thru the yard after something that was needed on the line. Good thing we lived out in the middle of the country! lol Yes, it was usually me running out there. lol
I loved the wringer washer we had too....we had the good one, could either go electric or by hand. That's what Mom wanted, so that's what she got. That way, if power went off, she could still finish the clothes.

I told hubby that when we get our house, I want a clothesline. He laughed and said sure...then I KNOW the clothes will be folded once they are dry. lol (I don't like folding clothes, but you HAVE to fold when they come off the line!) :) :)

Izy 05-10-2009 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Terri, what a picture that would have made if you could have caught the streaker on camera...great blackmail to be had lol!!

BW ...looky what you made me do on a Sunday!! What will the neightbours say?? Just as well I ain't got any too close then isn't it :wink:

See Sasha wondering what Mum was upto..I was near the car and she thought I was going out without her!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33926[/ATTACH]

tlrnhi 05-10-2009 12:30 AM

lol Izy
Every once in a while a car or truck would catch someone streaking across the yard. Not too often tho. Had to learn how to RUN FAST and if you heard a vehicle coming, had to find a something to duck down behind, which was a hard job to do, especially if Dad wasn't home because he parked his truck near the line and you could hide behind that.

judy_68 05-10-2009 01:10 AM

I use a clothesline as much as I can.
Judy in Ohio

k3n 05-10-2009 01:17 AM

Terri, what an image I've got in my brain now!

I still use a clothesline (I don't have a dryer!) but I don't hide my 'smalls' behind the sheets - loud and proud, that's me!

K x

Ninnie 05-10-2009 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
when i posted this, i never realized what a bunch old fogies there were here. i only knew about me. LOL! :mrgreen:

Ah, BW I am such an old foggie! I remember all of those. Hanging my baby sisters diapers on the line and they would freeze before you could get a clothes pin in them. Doing the whites first, then the other things.

Starching what needed to be starched, then wetting them down and rolling them up and ironing everything! Some fond memories , but wouldn't want to do it that way all the time now! I was so short, that I had to stand on a wooden coke box to iron and mom would take the poles down, so I could reach the clothes line to hang.

I guess I am defiantly an old Foggie!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ninnie

tlrnhi 05-10-2009 03:29 AM

Oh, remember the bottle with the holes in the cap to sprinkle the water on the clothes? Then if you didn't get the ironing done, you put the clothes in the freezer, well, at least we did until ironing day again.

Up North 05-10-2009 03:42 AM

My son just put my cloths line back up for me. Problem is it has been raining almost every day! I want my sheets dried outside!!!! I also remember the frozen towels and diapers! The sun and frost helped to whiten those diapers too!

Ninnie 05-10-2009 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Oh, remember the bottle with the holes in the cap to sprinkle the water on the clothes? Then if you didn't get the ironing done, you put the clothes in the freezer, well, at least we did until ironing day again.

Oh yea, I remember, we had a coke bottle that a cork sprinkler top fit into and would put the clothes in a pillow case all rolled up and place in the refrigerator! Those were not the good ole days. Mom,(my grandmother) ironed everything , hankies, Dad's boxers , sheets and pillow cases.Even the dish towels. :lol: :lol: Now I only iron when deeded, mostly material!

Ninnie

tlrnhi 05-10-2009 03:52 AM

Everything got ironed back then!
I still like ironing. I think it's relaxing!