Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Who remembers S&H green stamps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/who-remembers-s-h-green-stamps-t131526.html)

butterflies5518 06-19-2011 06:58 AM

OMG! My Mother was going thru a box for me to take home just last Sunday and S&H green stamps were in there. The GD had to hear the story behind them and we all laughed.

New Quilter 06-19-2011 07:02 AM

I well remember them...it was my job to put all of those green stamps in the books...gave a whole new meaning to having a 'green thumb'...also had a green tongue until I thought to use a sponge to wet the stamps...lol :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Naomi

craftymatt2 06-19-2011 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by spinnergs
Ok, green stamps. This is a true story. My youngest daughter came along during the green stamp rage. My sisters and I would shop everywhere there were green stamps, busily filling all our books until we had enought to cash them in for great deals. My daughter's baby furniture came from that store along with most everything else. Well, the big day came and we piled everyone in the car for the trip to the store. While I was dedicatedly looking thru the catalog to see what I need next, I hear a saleslady behind the counter say really loud "Oh MY!" while looking behind me. There was my daughter, climbed up on the display potty chair doing her business. Since she was potty training at home, this seemed the thing to do and she was look mightly pleased with herself. Needless to say, it was a readers digest moment for me!

That is such a precious story, the things kids say and do.

fayzer 06-19-2011 07:12 AM

I still remember what licking those stamps tastes like. LOL
I have the beautiful set of china my mom got with her S&H stamps.

marmalade 06-19-2011 07:13 AM

Boy, did you ever stir up memories with this topic!
I, too, remember them well. My mom saved them. My job was to "lick & stick" and fill the books! It's funny the things you remember getting with the stamps. All I can remember and still have is a "deluxe scrabble game set". This was a hard, rotating board that had spaces for the individual tiles. I even still have all the score pegs and the red plastic stands for the tiles, and of course, the gray vinyl bag. It's actually in pretty good shape considering we use it quite a bit and I think we got it in the late 60's. In fact, I think it's in better shape them me....lol!
Also - anybody remember the "treasure chest"coupons?
They were pink with greem lettering, about the size of "monopoly money". We used to get them from a store called "Brand Names", that was a catalogue order store.
I got my first hair dryer - not to be confused with blow-dryer - from them!

Ahhh...those were times!

craftymatt2 06-19-2011 07:13 AM

WOW, if this doesn't bring back memories, what a fun time, my mom wouldn't let us touch her green stamps, they were for her and her only, but I do remember her saving them and filling the books, she must have had thousands. Remember the Brady Bunch show episode about the green stamps?? I loved that show.

GlitzyMe 06-19-2011 07:19 AM

Oh my gosh.....S&H green stamps, Top Value, Plaid Stamps. They provided things housewives couldn't squeek out of the household budget. Among many other things, my mother got a Bates "George Washington's Choice" bedspread with them. She never took it out of the box but gave it to me 5 years ago when I was in Boston.

hobbykat1955 06-19-2011 07:20 AM

I'm 55 and remember them...My Grandmother collected them and you glued them in a book until you had what you needed.

calla 06-19-2011 07:22 AM

Gee I feel old, I could be mom to several youngn's calla

Now wait a minute, Hobby,.............I'm not old enought to be your grandma...............hee hee

catrancher 06-19-2011 07:43 AM

I remember them. I got a double decker record stand for my 45 rpm records. Who remembers 45s?