Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   why should I buy/not buy an Ipad2? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/why-should-i-buy-not-buy-ipad2-t202374.html)

judyc62 10-08-2012 04:34 AM

I use my ipad2 more than my desktop computer. What is wonderful for quilters is that you can download tutorials on them and watch them in your sewing room. Watch the video, pause, try the technique. I set my iPad up on my sewing machine and I'm all set to play. The iPad doesn't take up much space. This device has made such a difference in my life!

Janie67 10-08-2012 07:57 AM

I love my IPad. My desktop crashed and I bought an IPad and use it all the time. You can use it where ever there is a wireless network and it is extremely portable . Some of the magazines that you subscribe to can be downloaded to the IPad and accessed where ever you happen to be located. It is portable and easy to use especially if you have an I phone. They share information, photos, emails ,Facebook back and forth and are easier to see than on a screen the size of a phone. Plus your photos appear on both devices. LOVE IT !!

butterflies5518 10-08-2012 08:02 AM

I use a laptop and my Kindle Fire - thinking about an ipad but just beginning my search. I use my kindle for most things, reading (I have read way more books that ever in the past year), email, games, videos or any tv episode I wish to rewatch. It does require a hot spot/wireless tho but is still my handy go to while waiting for the laptop to gear up.

Greenheron 10-08-2012 09:13 AM

I don't miss what I never tried! My Apple laptop is as hi-tech as I need. I can unplug it and take it to my Lazy Boy (one I sit in, not one I birthed) as a lap warmer if I feel the urge to get fancy. LOL But I'm not dissing those who are enjoying the tech revolution.:thumbup:

DogHouseMom 10-09-2012 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 5568113)
I am able to actually SEE my dear friend who lives across the country from me via "Face Time". That alone is worth the cost of the Ipad.

Oh my yes ... how could I have forgotten FaceTime?!?!

LOVE Facetime! You use the person's e-mail account so it's not a "phone call" - but it's a live video feed with a friend. Our family is in England and we use it a LOT to see them. Our Hannah was able to "introduce" us to her 2 year old (whom we haven't seen since she was born) and when hubby went over there she KNEW who he was and instantly called him Grandpa. Warmed his heart to see his only grandchild recognize him and call him grandpa immediately.

judy363905 11-15-2012 08:09 PM

I was so happy to find this link ... We just purchased one yesterday.. we are signed up for a class at the Apple Store after Thanksgiving... we have been having fun installing apps..I think we have a lot to learn, I think it will take a little time to get the hang of all the neat things available on the..so far so good.

Judy in Phx, AZ

tracibug 11-16-2012 02:52 PM

My house is a techie house, guess that's why we live in Silicon Valley.

2 - 17" laptops
2 - 15" laptops
1 - 11" Macbook
3 - iPhones
3 - iPod touches
1 - Nook
1 - Kindle

and then my husband bought me an iPad last year for Christmas. I do use it for many things but one of my favorites is putting pictures and movies on it for when I travel. My grandmother, bless her 92 yr old mostly blind heart, can see the pictures on it of my kids and the battery life is really good. Stream movies for 10 hours without a charge.

It's not overly light for toting around in your purse but I am working on a totebag to make that a bit easier for me.

coopah 11-17-2012 05:15 AM

tracibug, how do you stream for 10 hours without a charge? PM me if you like. We are going on vacation and won't have TV. The nights are long and the days will be cold, so this would help. Thanks!