Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/why-t78173.html)

user3587 11-23-2010 05:48 AM

This is a curosity question, when someone asks a question and you don't know or have an opinion about the question why do you answer, saying I don't know but welcome, etc. If you are the one asking the question and you see 3 or 4 responses and thinking you have an answer only to find out they don't know anymore than you do don't you think that could be a little disappointing?

sahm4605 11-23-2010 05:52 AM

hi and welcome. I don't know but wanted to say hey. hehe j/k. I think that some people are trying to boost their numbers for regular status. and others are just trying to be nice. Unless I know more or have something to add I try not to answer. just because it can get frustrating to have to read tons of responses when you are looking for an answer to a question.

Rebecca VLQ 11-23-2010 05:53 AM

Well, I do it out of kindness to the person, acknowledging that I've seen their question, sympathize, and wish I could help. Sometimes I'd also like to know the answer myself, and it's an easy way to mark.

I guess you could look at it another way: would you want a hundred views and no acknowledgement at all? Would you feel like you've asked a dumb question or we were unfriendly if no one said hello? I would. Which is why I try not to do that.

debbieumphress 11-23-2010 05:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
YOu are only supposed to reply when you know but lots of members just do either because they want to join the conversation or they are trying to get top poster for the day. One never knows. And then again, some of us will also see each other and say hi or comment between each other. This board is not so restricted that we don't "play" too. I see your point though. YOu meet people by comments and such as it is. I suppose if you did not want unnecessary comments, you could post that inside the post. And good luck with it. And some of us want to see the answer when you get it.

Some of us just wanna Chatter. Hope this was a good answer.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132374[/ATTACH]

dsb38327 11-23-2010 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by okie
This is a curosity question, when someone asks a question and you don't know or have an opinion about the question why do you answer, saying I don't know but welcome, etc. If you are the one asking the question and you see 3 or 4 responses and thinking you have an answer only to find out they don't know anymore than you do don't you think that could be a little disappointing?

Curosity question, has this happened to you?
I apologize if I am on your list of disappointments.
I feel free to respond to posts as I desire. I would not want that feeling taken away.
I could give a hoot about my 'status' title. I do care about the members of the Quiltingboard.

AngieS 11-23-2010 06:20 AM

I have done this before to kind of bump up their topic so someone else can see it on other boards. I too want them to know they aren't being ignored. I guess I just want them to know that I read it and wished that I could help. ;-)

Rebecca VLQ 11-23-2010 06:20 AM

Ooh, I'm another one who didn't think of the title thing. I contribute enough of worthwhile chatter that it's moot. ;)

CoventryUK 11-23-2010 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327

Originally Posted by okie

Curosity question, has this happened to you?
I apologize if I am on your list of disappointments.
I feel free to respond to posts as I desire. I would not want that feeling taken away.
I could give a hoot about my 'status' title. I do care about the members of the Quiltingboard.

I agree!! Just like to show an interest in other people!! Is this not allowed???

litacats 11-23-2010 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by AngieS
I have done this before to kind of bump up their topic so someone else can see it on other boards. I too want them to know they aren't being ignored. I guess I just want them to know that I read it and wished that I could help. ;-)

I feel the same way as AngieS.
Also I don't care about being a regular if I am I am if not to bad.
I sometimes reply to a post saying I don't know but I would love to see what others say. a lot of us are still fairly new to quilting Iknow I am, so if I reply I know I will also see the responces of others and hopefully learn something along the way.

renee765 11-23-2010 06:41 AM

I do know that if I post a new thread, and don't get any responses (but lots of views) for a while, I do feel like maybe I had asked a stupid question that no one wants to take the energy to answer. I know that's not the case, but it still feels like it if no one answers.

Maybe like another board member suggested, state in your original post that if you don't have an answer, no need to respond.