Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Will this house remodel ever get done! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/will-house-remodel-ever-get-done-t153660.html)

scrappy2 09-20-2011 11:11 AM

I feel for you and I don't want to ever remodel again while living in the house twice is enough but I never want to say never because i said that after the first time.

Hang in there it will look great when done. :thumbup:

MadQuilter 09-20-2011 11:35 AM

We just replaced windows and door in the North wall. I do know what you are saying - been living it for years. It is always just hubby and I doing it so it takes a while. Managing the right attitude, the right plan, the money and the time can be tricky. One of those components seems to be missing most times.

Hang in there - you'll forget the pain once done.

fidgety 10-19-2011 03:16 PM

Well when you all get done with your redos I am going to have a painting party if you wanna come.. With this back I can't paint but i will supply all the food and drinks while you all paint... lol..

When your redo is all done I am sure you will look back and enjoy the fact that it is done..

Beachbound 11-04-2011 01:02 PM

wondering how things are going.....we need an update!

EasyPeezy 11-04-2011 01:09 PM

I thought you were talking about the new board. LOL
Hang in there. The results will be worth it. :)

Honeynga 11-04-2011 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 4228646)
New windows, painting every room, new flooring, new light fixtures, new sinks and toilets, and new countertops and maybe a cabinet redo. I may have a fit before I get to the cabinets. The last of the flooring is going in today. What a mess and it's raining. This is my last ever redoing a house while we are living in it. :lol: I

My sweet wonderful inlaws bought a house on the historical registry in midtown atlanta several years back; sold their current house and moved in during renovations, oh what a mess. They lived in the upstairs which had been an apt while the main part of the house was restored. MY FIL was a true craftsman so all of the renovations had to be exact......the htg system was horrible; my MIL wore long johns under the clothes all the time; they cooked on hot plates and at one time had a cooler for a fridge until she absolutely put her foot down to get a temp fridge in the apt.....the walls were demolished but they had plastic drapings around......I don't know how she kept her santitiy during the renovations.

But rest assured, once all was done it was a show place and fit for entertaining a king ! There were 9 fireplaces in the hosue and each had been re built by hand; pocket doors refinished and re installed; butler's pantry re done; htg and AC systems installed...on and on, but once it was over she was so happy with the renovations.

NOW me, I would have probably said no way and either lived with it as it had been or moved to a hotel.

Hang in there, it will be awesome when you are finished, and plus, you'll have stories to tell !

ChrisB 11-04-2011 05:15 PM

It will be worth it when you finish. We remodeled three houses and were pleased with all three. One was 100 years old that we had moved to some acreage. The last one was a 100 year old church that we made into a 4 bedroom home. A lot of work but fun too!

MaryStoaks 11-04-2011 05:17 PM

My new roof is being put on this week & next. Hot tar machine & dumpster are in my driveway. Then I have to paint the outside and patch the stucco. I have painted inside and put in new faucets etc in the bathroom and kitchen. New kitchen counters and flooring are on my list too. At least I don't need new cupboards. I feel your pain. Keep a stiff upper lip!

marymc 11-04-2011 05:34 PM

Oh, don't I know. 5 years ago decided to sell the house. Realator gave us a to do list. Painted both stories, small repairs and decluttered. Sold the house and bought a fixer upper. Enter new house. Tear out unsafe woodburning stove and fireplace, new sheetrock new wood floors, paint every room. Complete kitchen remodel (Thanksgiving for 13 with no kitchen). Tear out old concrete patio and install new one. Currently working on a 3rd bathroom in the basement nd DH says the other night "we should put a fireplace in that corner". Always an adventure with him!

littlehud 11-04-2011 05:36 PM

Just keep telling yourself it will be wonderful when it's done.