Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Windows 8.1 problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/windows-8-1-problems-t256822.html)

Barb in Louisiana 11-15-2014 05:26 AM

Windows 8.1 problems

I recently updated my computer to Windows 8.1. Immediately I started having some problems with QB. When I posted to a thread, I had to hit the update for the thread to be able to see my post. I couldn't edit any thread that I posted to.

Thanks to Ellen's help I am back to normal. I thought some others might be having problems and not know about this small fix that makes a lot of difference.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help...ml#post6969370

wildwoodflower12390 11-15-2014 12:01 PM

I feel your pain. When I updated from Windows Vista (another problematic program) to Windows 8,I found it hard to adjust. Found a "Windows 8" website on Facebook, commented to them : "The only thing worse than Windows Vista is Windows 8" did not get a reply, but I felt better!

Crqltr 11-15-2014 12:30 PM

I hated windows 8....so my son inlaw rebuilt mt old computer, made it faster ect. I gave him the new one with 8 on it and they bought a windows 7 program to install on it..now we are all a lot happier!

decky 11-15-2014 01:22 PM

I just bought a new laptop with Windows 8.1 and like it. I have not had any problems with it at all. But then I took a class on how to do things on it.

Barb in Louisiana 11-15-2014 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by decky (Post 6969910)
I just bought a new laptop with Windows 8.1 and like it. I have not had any problems with it at all. But then I took a class on how to do things on it.

Now that would have been the smart thing to do, but I never even thought of needing lessons to work on a computer. My bad!

Windows 8 was very trying to say the least, especially since I refused to pay an extra $400 to have a touch swipe screen. Well, I finally let Windows 8.1 upgrade my system. In most ways, it is so much better than the first 8 that I am amazed. The only thing I had issues with was this website, but thanks to Ellen, I am now fixed. Now to go do some piecing while the NASCAR Nationwide race is on.

romanojg 11-16-2014 05:23 AM

If you go to Microsoft's website there are free tutorials on it. And yes, doing the upgrade does make it better. I would have taken 8 right back to the store but since I work in the IT field I figured I'd better get used to it before we switch things over, which we eventually will have to do. I offer customer support as well and since people already need help I've been able to help a few, mostly I don't do support software but its nice to know where to find things. I still get lost. I hate the way Outlook looks and it puts things in folders the way it wants and not the way it should go and not the way Win 7 does. I'm no where close to liking 8.1 but when I finally find something I want and will use a lot I put an icon on my desktop so that I don't have to go searching for it.

rebeljane 11-16-2014 08:11 AM

Windows 8 is a nightmare for me, had nothing but trouble with it since I purchased a year ago. I hate it!!!!

NJ Quilter 11-17-2014 04:44 AM

We're going to have to replace DH's laptop in the relatively near future. NOT looking forward to that adventure. I have 7 on my desktop which was enough of a challenge at the time. Might take him shopping for new laptops just to make him re-think the quirks on this laptop, lol.

romanojg 11-17-2014 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 6972264)
We're going to have to replace DH's laptop in the relatively near future. NOT looking forward to that adventure. I have 7 on my desktop which was enough of a challenge at the time. Might take him shopping for new laptops just to make him re-think the quirks on this laptop, lol.

Do you know that HP will allow you to order a pc from them with 7 on it. It's only available online but they make a great pc or laptop.

NJ Quilter 11-17-2014 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg (Post 6972347)
Do you know that HP will allow you to order a pc from them with 7 on it. It's only available online but they make a great pc or laptop.

Will look into this - thanks for the heads up. All of my desktops I have ordered directly from dell with the OS and software I wanted (read expensive, here). DH's laptops have been purchased from big box stores. While they've been okay for what he does they are fine. I'm more used to (and prefer) enterprise versions of software. I use his laptop when downstairs and just surfing or emailing but when I want a 'real' computer I head for my desktop. Just call me dinosaur!