Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Wishing I Could Crawl Into My Sewing Room and Hide... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/wishing-i-could-crawl-into-my-sewing-room-hide-t167316.html)

Mad Mimm 11-09-2011 02:50 PM

Wishing I Could Crawl Into My Sewing Room and Hide...

I'm having a very rare case of "One of those :thumbdown: kind of days," and not able to engage in some sewing therapy; at least not until the little monsters (ahem, I mean my kind, sweet children) have gone to bed. :mad:

I am reminded of those Calgon commercials where the stressed out woman says, "Calgon, take me away..." and suddenly she is surrounded by a bath full of bubbles and is simmering her cares away. Only in my case, I would be entreating to the sewing gods and would find myself alone in my sewing room, with soothing, color-coordinated bolts of fabric around me, stitching away my stress.

They don't happen too often, and I complain about them even less, but sometimes, those darn days just find me no matter how fast I move. And when they do, ahhhhhh how I wish I could take solace in some thread and fabric. :p Not sure if it is necessarily less expensive than therapy, but hey, at least when I am done I have something to snuggle under - try THAT with a psychiatrist! Haha!!

MistyMarie 11-09-2011 02:53 PM

I feel that way about life sometimes too!

I haven't met a psychiatrist yet that was "yummy" enough to want to snuggle under... but I sure have met some quilts that were!

barny 11-09-2011 02:54 PM

HA I love it

Jingle 11-09-2011 02:55 PM

I know it doesn't help but, believe it or not, they will grow up and leave home. Then you will be able to sew away. My 3 have been gone from home for 25 years.

Mad Mimm 11-09-2011 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 4658421)
I know it doesn't help but, believe it or not, they will grow up and leave home. Then you will be able to sew away. My 3 have been gone from home for 25 years.

Thanks Phyllis, it does help! The funny part is that some days that thought makes me want to cry and then other days, it makes me want to CHEER! Ah, the joy of parenting! As long as I keep my sense of humor, I'll be fine! ;)

renee765 11-09-2011 05:50 PM

When my three kids were little, I had had a particularly rough couple of days (just normal stuff, but felt like more). My husband came home from work, and I unloaded on him how exhausted I was. The wonderful man told me to get in the car, drive to Des Moines (we were living in Council Bluffs at the time), do whatever I wanted there, spend the night in a hotel, and come home the next day. I have to tell you that it was so wonderful to just have one evening to myself, and I was so eager to get back home to my family. I don't think I had any 'rough' days after that for a long, long time. To this day, when I'm having a bad day I say I need to 'run away to Des Moines' (which would be hard because I now live in San Antonio).

The moral of my story is that sometimes you just need a little time to yourself.

Peckish 11-09-2011 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie (Post 4658415)
I haven't met a psychiatrist yet that was "yummy" enough to want to snuggle under... !

I had to read this several times before I figured out what you meant, rofl!!!

My DH was on the road a LOT when my kids were little, so I rarely got breaks. I learned quickly to lean on my girlfriends, and a glass of wine always helped to take the edge off so I wouldn't kill anyone. :o

sewingsuz 11-09-2011 07:50 PM

Thing like basketball practice and laundry and cooking and cleaning are always in my way of sewing. Day after day

luvstoquilt 11-10-2011 09:22 AM

I hope you got some "alone" time. It really is necessary for all of us. My kids are grown and gone from home but I see a lot of my grandkids...I love it and remind myself "this too shall pass" when I get tired and want them to just go home. I remember my grandmother telling me how fast the time goes and I thought she was "Nuts"..now I know she was right. Give the kids a hug and kiss goodnight and hit the sewing room...you deserve it!

grammiepamie 11-10-2011 09:47 AM

I'm having one of those days too. I would just like to sit and stare into space and crochet, but I have a project to finish and it needs to be done the 18th so I guess I had better get busy. But here I am on the board enjoying the posts and pictures.