Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Witch Hazel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/witch-hazel-t254945.html)

ube quilting 10-10-2014 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Patchesnposies (Post 6921704)
I'm weird. I kind of like the smell! ;)

I love witch hazel. Great in the summer as an alternative to an alcohol rub for cooling down and I think the aroma is pleasant. Just use a wash cloth and wet it with the WH and wash arms leg neck and belly. As it evaporates it cools you down. I will try it for my arthritis now. I always have a few bottles in my medicine cabinet. TFS
peace

nygal 10-10-2014 05:05 AM

I have knee replacement surgery next week on my left knee. I will try the Witch Hazel for the right knee and my fingers as soon as I am back from the hospital. I had to stop taking Celebrex until the surgery and boy am I hurting now!!

jcrilley 10-10-2014 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca (Post 6920182)
Just read about this on another post. The lady was using it on her sore knee. So I bought some. Tried it on my arthritic hands, just so sore & stiff in the mornings. About 20 minutes after rubbing a little on my hands my right hand had no soreness and my left was 50% improved. That's about as good as my left gets. I just made a pinhole in the foil lid, so it just drips out. I used it on my skin, I believe she said to wet a cloth and put the cloth on the sore spot. Guess it would stay moist a lot longer that way. Maybe I'll put a scrap of flannall (sp.), (I must have some scraps, grin), on my left hand and reapply later, Not sure if I need to wait before re-appling, suppose I could read the label, it's just so tiny writing.

This stuff is also great for treating insect bites, bee stings or anything itchy; and it's cheap too!

Skyangel 10-10-2014 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 6921936)
I've never used witch hazel for soreness or bruises. I always use arnica for those. It works great!

I use Arnica for sore muscles and bruising and can't say enough about it. I always rub it into my knees when they hurt (such as gardening, ect.) My mom says it helps the bursitis in her hip, and a friend I recommended it to swears it has helped him avoid knee surgery. Got a flu shot this week and had a sore arm at the injection site. A bit of Arnica cream and it quit hurting completely. But I did recently use Witch Hazel on a nasty spider bite and it really helped, alternated with lavender oil and ice packs (advice from my Naturopathic Dr.).

purplefiend 10-10-2014 02:52 PM

My Golden Retriever is prone to yeasty ear infections, I use it to wipe her ears out; it helps.

onaemtnest 10-11-2014 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6920422)
Hmmm, it can't hurt, I might try that on my shoulder. It's been having soreness, limitation for several weeks; ortho doc says it's not needing replacement yet and he sees from the cervical MRI he ordered that it's coming from the destruction in my neck. Now that my achilles tendon tear has been repaired, it's killing me to use the walker to get around, hopping on one leg.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Jan in VA

Oh Jan, So sorry to hear you are limited to a walker.... hoping you are healing and feeling better soon!!!! (((Hugs)))

onaemtnest 10-11-2014 08:09 AM

I always wondered about Witch Hazel and now that I know, I will be picking up some with all the suggestions here I will certainly find a use for it! Thank-you for posting this thread!

Jingle 10-14-2014 09:38 AM

Good stuff to know, never really knew what it was for. Thanks for posting this.

RedGarnet222 10-14-2014 11:25 AM

I am so very glad so many people have discovered witch hazel by my comment earlier in the month. I love this natural remedy it is so cold and healing. You just never know what will come of the things you say on the quilt board. LOL!