Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Are women color blind, too? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/women-color-blind-too-t200511.html)

Dolphyngyrl 09-25-2012 08:49 PM

I think they can be but it is rare, I think it is somehow attached to the y chromosome, but I think females are the carriers and when it attaches to the y chromosome it causes colorblindness

Barbie 10-13-2012 10:31 AM

4 years ago, my grandson came to live with us when he entered high school. He is red/green color blind. He was told his father carries the gene. His father is adopted and does not have the disability. Therefore, we have not traced it back into his background. My grandson loves red because it is bright. Of course, anything in the red family looks red to him. We purchased all his clothes to coordinate with everything else. The only exception was his running clothes. I always hung the orange set together so he would not wear the orange shirt with red shorts. The first tme he did that, he encountered some interesting comments from his friends.

jeank 10-13-2012 12:38 PM

When my son was small, my father-in-law asked if he knew his colors? He did. Then dad told me there was colorblindness in the family. My husband was not colorblind.

Years passed, and my husband lost the sight in one eye. That was when we realized he was now colorblind. I asked his doctor if people can be colorblind in only one eye. He thought that is what happened. We have learned that one of my grandsons is colorblind. But that didnt keep him out of the Marines.

AlienQuilter 10-13-2012 04:03 PM

Color blindness runs in my family.

It's carried on the "X" chromosome. Women can be color blind if both their "X" chromosomes have the colorblind problem. A good "X" will compensate for the colors. Eight times more men are color blind then women.

Men can pass the colorblind gene to their daughters on the "X" chromosome. Women can pass it to either child.

Luckily my sons are not color blind. Had the doctor test them when they were little. Hopefully they won't pass it on to their daughters.

Sometimes the color blindness can be really subtle. My oldest brother did not know until he joined the Army that he could not tell the difference between brown and green. To him it was normal.

I have several male relatives who are totally color blind. One uncle's job in the military during WWII was spotting enemy camouflage from helicopters. A cousin is very popular fishing companion - he can spot them really good.

I had another Uncle who could only see red. My Aunt said it was a good thing she liked red because everything he bought was red!

So, summary: Women can pass to either child, Men can pass to daughters.

AlienQuilter 10-14-2012 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter (Post 5583152)

So, summary: Women can pass to either child, Men can pass to daughters.

Meant to read: Women can pass to either a son or a daughter, Men can pass to daughters (then daughter can pass to a son or daughter!).

Bluelady 10-14-2012 12:56 AM

One of the quilters on here, a woman, is color blind. So yes, there are women who are color blind!