Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Wonderful memories from when I was young(er) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/wonderful-memories-when-i-young-er-t228648.html)

Quilty-Louise 08-24-2013 08:15 AM

Wonderful memories from when I was young(er)

When I was young (late teens/early twenties) my former
(first) father in law use to be the "cook" in the house, it was
truly HIS kitchen.

Sunday morning was always his big breakfast day, and in the
summer he would always make bacon and/or sausage gravy
using the drippings from said meat. He also made biscuits, eggs,
hash brown potatoes, sliced up a cantaloupe.

He spent several years trying to convince me to try cantaloupe
with gravy on top, it just sounded yuck to me, finally one day I
gave in to try just a (very very SMALL) bite. From that day on
I was hooked on it.

It has been a few years since I had any, and this morning I woke
up and remembered I had a fresh Rocky Ford melon in my fridge.

So can you guess what I made for breakfast (for myself only hubs
won't eat it). Yep I cooked bacon, made gravy and had my beloved
melon with gravy.

Cheers "Papa Fish" (can't believe he has been gone nearly 22 years).

Now back to the kitchen for seconds.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Radiana 08-24-2013 11:02 AM

It is interesting what actually goes together as far as food combinations. My brother taught me about pancakes with fried eggs and bacon on top then drizzled with syrup. I will give the cantalope and gravy a try. Thanks for the post.

QuiltnNan 08-24-2013 12:17 PM

that combo sure doesn't sound appealing. i'll have to remember it for when i have the ingredients. i'll share one odd combo i discovered as a child... if you put yellow mustard and white sugar together on white bread, it tastes like oranges... at least it did to me :)

nanacc 08-24-2013 12:35 PM

My Daddy used to put mustard on home-fried potatoes! Daughter does it sometimes on potato chips. Grandson loved cheetos on peanut butter sandwiches!

Misty's Mom 08-24-2013 12:40 PM

How about ketsup on scrambled eggs?

nativetexan 08-24-2013 12:47 PM

Oh my!! I was just telling my husband I used to have a girlfriend (about 13 yrs of age then) who when getting home from school would pour white Karo's syrup onto a piece of white bread for a snack. yuck. But then, I remembered I used to eat a sandwich of white bread and mayonnaise! go figure.

joyce blint 08-24-2013 03:06 PM

I was first introduced to tomatoes and dumplings at my MIL's. It took a long time til I was ready to try it. (It looked gross.) She's now gone and we still have tomatoes and dumplings, often with steak. I must admit, it's very tasty.

Misty's Mom 08-24-2013 03:25 PM

My husband loves mayonnaise and tomato sandwiches. Also, pineapple and mayonnaise sandwiches.

Pinkiris 08-24-2013 04:24 PM

I had an uncle who loved pork gravy on his apple pie! And I remember my older sister eating peanut butter and pickle relish sandwiches. As for me, I love liver sausage sandwiches with jam on them. :p It's that salty and sweet together that we love, I think!

sassey 08-24-2013 06:00 PM

When my mother made me eat navy beans I would put a big glop of grape jelly in them