Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Wool dryer balls. Does anyone use them? What about making them yourself? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/wool-dryer-balls-does-anyone-use-them-what-about-making-them-yourself-t294665.html)

OhCanada 02-09-2018 11:59 PM

Wool dryer balls. Does anyone use them? What about making them yourself?

I was researching this today on the Internet. Wool dryer balls are supposed to replace fabric softener and dryer sheets by fluffing up your laundry and removing static. And reduce drying time by 20%.

Interested in hearing from my fellow quilters who have tried these. Also wondering about making them myself, I’ve found a few DIY instructions for it.

quiltingcandy 02-10-2018 12:25 AM

I have been using them for almost a year now and like them a lot! I still use fabric softener for my towels. The reason I bought them in the first place was to use them for pin cushions - wool makes the needles glide thru fabric so easily - but then read what they are supposed to be used for and gave them a trial. I was shocked how well they worked without any perfume smell and used ever since. I can't say they really make laundry dry any faster.

Aurora 02-10-2018 03:40 AM

Didn't people use to use tennis balls in their dryers?

Mkotch 02-10-2018 04:34 AM

I got some this winter and like them for increasing fluffiness. But I still find I need dryer sheets now and then because I have some items - socks, corduroy pants, etc. - that have a lot of polyester in them and they are just more static-y. Works well for quilts, though.

tranum 02-10-2018 04:45 AM

I made 5 using wool yarn then wrapped them with strips cut from wool scraps. I stitched them closed but then I got to wondering if I had used 100% wool fabric or was it a blend? At that point, I couldn’t tell since it was scrap. I dropped each in an old knee high nylon and tied it shut. Eventually the nylon will wear out and I wonder if they’ll come apart ? They are supposed to go into the washer with the laundry then follow into the dryer but I can’t remember to add them to the wash very often. I do think they are good in the dryer, however. It’s the washing that felts them so it’s important to do.

Lena1952 02-10-2018 04:53 AM

I have sheep and lots (and mean LOTS) of raw fleece. I had a washed fleece and made dryer balls with it. I hang most of my clothes outside but when I use the dryer I always use the dryer balls. If I need fabric softener, I just put a little on the dryer ball and toss it in. But Since I have a strong reaction to fragrance, I don't use the fabric softener very much. It takes quite a bit of fleece to make a decent size ball once they are felted. About 3x as much as the size ball you want to end up with.

quilttiger 02-10-2018 05:23 AM

I made a few wool dryer balls a few years ago and liked them so much I made a few more! Right now I have ten balls (in different colors and sizes) in the dryer and they do a great job. I do not miss the dryer sheets at all. If there is any static, it disappears as soon as the items are taken out of the dryer.

coopah 02-10-2018 05:43 AM

My BIL has used them for several years and swears by them. No knowledge about making your own.

SusieQOH 02-10-2018 06:18 AM

I bought some on Etsy and really like them. I haven't used dryer sheets in years.

OhCanada 02-10-2018 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by quilttiger (Post 8000312)
I made a few wool dryer balls a few years ago and liked them so much I made a few more! Right now I have ten balls (in different colors and sizes) in the dryer and they do a great job. I do not miss the dryer sheets at all. If there is any static, it disappears as soon as the items are taken out of the dryer.

Did you make them with roving wool? I’ve read that if you start to get static, you can ‘reset’ the balls by throwing them in the washing machine with a load.