Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Working with burlap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/working-burlap-t223814.html)

southernmema 06-16-2013 08:33 AM

Working with burlap

My DGD wants my help in decorating her bedroom at college. She wants burlap and lace. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions for working with burlap as I've never sewn with it. We will make a valance with a rod pocket, tie backs for lace curtains, throw pillows, etc. Thanks.

nanacc 06-16-2013 11:40 AM

In my very little experience.........all I can say is that it will be hard on your hands. Gloves? I would try gently washing first and lining with muslin. Sounds like you are trying one of those 'one of a kind' projects that I get myself into! Good luck and have fun!

barny 06-16-2013 11:49 AM

I saw last week Jo-Anns has tons of burlap. I would also line it with the same color as the burlap. I would choke working with it, but it will be cute. Lining will help a "not see through" deal. I would wash it somehow to make it more soft for the lining and sewing. I don't know a thing about burlap, but I'll bet it will shrink. big time.

ckcowl 06-16-2013 12:13 PM

zigzag the edges to keep it from fraying - use utility (like kitchen shears) scissors-not your good sewing scissors.

Jan in VA 06-16-2013 02:01 PM

Does she know burlap smells?
Is see through?
Sheds like crazy?
Will be a mess as it's washed?

Lands, I'd never work with that stuff again, but remember vividly that it's a late teen/early twenty 'thing'!' Good luck with your effort of love and be sure to share the results with us.

DogHouseMom 06-16-2013 03:46 PM

Be prepared to clean your sewing machine often and well!!

I can well imagine what burlap and lace would look like and I can't wait to see the finished project.

coopah 06-16-2013 07:15 PM

Everyone is right. Burlap is beastly to work with, creates a lot of dust/lint, and smells. A friend who blogs is making burlap/lace/mason jar decorations for a wedding. I don't know how to link you up, but the blog name is "michelle paige." They look cute...I guess because burlap/lace/pearls/bling seem so opposite. Enjoy the project and show the results.

tuppermern 06-16-2013 07:29 PM

I work at JoAnns---and am amazed how many people are using burlap for wedding decorations---including table runners! One tip I have for you, tho---is how to get a straight piece. Snip before a thread---and after..........then pull that thread out. I will look like a railroad track---------and cut thru it. That ensures a straight cut. Good luck!

southernmema 06-19-2013 04:34 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions....I'm off to the sewing room. Fortunately the burlap I found (actually at Walmart) was pretty soft and does not smell. I know it will be messy though...hope I'm prepared!! Thanks again! Linda

Sewfine 06-19-2013 04:43 AM

I've only used it to make wreaths. You can google it for help.