Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   worst use of sewing scissors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/worst-use-sewing-scissors-t145594.html)

katcox 08-17-2011 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
That is worse than anything I have ever seen...

Hide them quick.

purplefiend 08-17-2011 10:47 AM

DH or DS used my Ginghers shears for cutting wire!!!
I suggest a padlock through the handles so only you can use your scissors. :twisted:

sammy89 08-17-2011 01:19 PM

my 2 mens know better then go in my sewingroom to look for scissors its a deal with dead :twisted:

collady 08-17-2011 02:16 PM

One of my grandsons used one pair of my best scissors to cut wire to rewire his game playing system. When confronted, he said that there were 3 other scissors on the table, so he just took one. I keep wire cutters, paper scissors, etc in a box on the shelf outside my sewing room with a sign. He walked right past it! Got to love those grand kids!

teacherbailey 08-17-2011 02:23 PM

My son used them to try to trim carpeting and upholstery in his first car. I told him they were sharp and he'd ruin them, so he ran his thumb down the length of the blade to show me that they weren't that sharp at all. (I made him clean up the bloody mess himself, after I was sure he didn't need stitches...)

MsLoriAnn 08-17-2011 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by sisLH
I want to get a new scissors-which makes me wonder where I can hide it. If I have mine laying out, it has gotten used for definately non-sewing tasks. The worst -I caught my adult daughter using it to cut branches on the lilac bushes.
What was your worst usage?

My son used my sewing scissors to cut paper. GRRRRR. So I bought a padlock and lock the handles together when not in use.

katesnanna 08-17-2011 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kat2
My husband knows not to use my good scissors. He wouldn't find them in my sewing room. To secure the scissors purchase a combination lock used for luggage and no one would be able to use them without the combination.

That's an absolutely brilliant idea.

Dawneda 08-17-2011 03:24 PM

My daughter cutting her hair with a dull pair of my sewing scissors, bet she won't do that again.

Treasureit 08-17-2011 03:30 PM

I must have been a strict Mom - since my original "good" sewing scissors are still very useable. They actually are in my bathroom as "hair cutting scissors" now, but I told all 4 kids that these scissors are only for fabric or hair...it worked...I have good kids!!

RugosaB 08-17-2011 03:47 PM

I have found if I tape the loops in the handles with hot pink tape, they tend to get noticed, but left alone.
I take the tape off when they are ok to use for anything. I use them to cut pizza, and dead head plants outside, open dog food bags, lots of kitchen uses. The rule is handle's not pink? Ok to use.