Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Would be grateful if you could say a sewing machine you liked. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/would-grateful-if-you-could-say-sewing-machine-you-liked-t250411.html)

omacookie 07-20-2014 03:31 AM

Pfaff ! Pfaff ! Pfaff ! This is my second one, a 1522 Free Style. It is about 25 years old. Before that I had a Pfaff also. I fell in love with Pfaff's when I was in High School 60 years ago. Why pay for lots of fancy stuff if you do not need it ? Last month bought a Singer Featherweight in excellent condition. I still love to do hand work also. Good luck on your search

ohstr 07-20-2014 03:40 AM

Janome 6600 great machine ...I have two of them. One for me and one for ladies that come to sew with me.

kuntryquilter 07-20-2014 04:05 AM

Love my Vikings, all of them. My take to class machine is the Emerald.

vickig626 07-20-2014 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 6808318)
Don't discount the Brother machines. You can go from very low end to one with bells and whistles with everything in between.

I agree. For those who might not know, Babylock and Brother are made by the same company. I talked to a dealer about this (they sell both) and there are a few slight differences between but she said Brother has a better warranty. Ex. if you have a problem with Babylock and it's under warranty, they want to send the machine part back to the factory for evaluation (meaning you're without your machine for some time). Brother will simply instruct the dealer the replace the part "then" send it back to the factory.

Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE my Babylock machines (have the Esante, Symphony and Enlighten Serger). They have all served me well so far. My Esante (being the oldest) has only been to the shop once for cleaning and replace the bobbin case.

I have recently added a basic Brother machine for classes, etc. and just as pleased with it.

Just visit a few shops and check out the different machines. Write down what you want from the machine, what your budget is, and actually sew at it -- not just let them demo it for you.

Have fun shopping for your new baby....

katesnanna 07-20-2014 04:22 AM

Janome - I own 5 of them. Oldest one I bought in 2001 for $556.00, latest one was my Christmas present to myself, cost $10,000. Two of them are sewing/embroidery machines. I still use each of them.

sparkys_mom 07-20-2014 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 6808863)
I am like a broken record but I have a Brother 1500S, that I am really, really happy with. It is strictly mechanical. It has a automatic thread cutter, a knee lift, needle down and best of all a 9" harp. The motor is powerful and sews through many layers without even a hiccup. (No I do not own a share in the company.) I've had it for about three years with daily use and never had a problem. If something ever happened to it I wouldn't hesitate to get one just like it. Oh, the going price is about $795. I wouldn't worry about not having a local dealer since the machine is so simple and straight forward.

Is this the PQ1500S? That is all I see when I search online. I'm sorry I didn't buy this or the comparable Juki. I was lured into the Janome 7700 by the harp size but I paid a lot of money for features I never use. I'm currently considering buying a second machine as a backup and Brother is one that I would consider.

pocoellie 07-20-2014 04:37 AM

I don't know anything about the Bernina, Babylock or Juki, but definitely would stay away from the Singer, actually any new Singer but would be happy with a old Singer, my personal opinion. I have heard good reviews with Juki though.

lclang 07-20-2014 05:17 AM

Test drive a many as you can. It doesn't matter what we like, it's what YOU like that counts. Ask friends to let you try their machines...no cost to you and expert advice from them. Make a list of the features you like and would really use, such as needle threader, thread cutter, good buttonhole stitches, three step zigzag for mending, quarter inch seam setting, etc. and take it with you. Wish you lived near me, I have a variety of machines you could try and I would enjoy having you.

Emma S 07-20-2014 06:09 AM

Sparky's Mom: Yes that's the same machine. It doesn't actually have the PS on the machine itself. When I checked on line to look at it, found it on Amazon for $509. Wow that's a great price!

mjhaess 07-20-2014 06:23 AM

I love, love, love my Singer 401A. I also love my Kenmore 158-1941.