Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Wow, the wind last night! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/wow-wind-last-night-t143280.html)

moonwork42029 08-07-2011 05:41 AM

I'm so glad we weren't on our motorcycle during the awful rain last night/this morning. We woke up to a raft in our driveway...yep, one of the big heavy specialized inter-tubes you pull behind a boat.

We're about 1/4 mile off the main road with no one else in neighborhood having a boat and we have pretty much a tree lined driveway...talk about some wind.

What's the strangest thing you have found "blown" into the road/yard?

suebee 08-07-2011 05:49 AM

After one of our monsoon storms a couple of weeks ago, DH had to go to the credit union and there in the parking lot was a huge trampoline as if someone just sat it there.LOL

luvstitches 08-07-2011 05:50 AM

We had a large truck cap fly into our yard. It sailed thru the sky like a leaf. Thank God no one was in our yard at the time. It was very heavy and damaged. The neighbor said we can have it. LOL! Wow, thanks!

Gramie bj 08-07-2011 05:51 AM

A 2 man, set up tent, some one did not steak it down or the wind was really bad LOL For a heart beat I thought someone was camping on my back lawn, we live in the country and closest neighbor is over a mile away. Not a mark on it and it had to travel over and through sage brush and grease wood to reach us.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-07-2011 05:58 AM

Wow, can't beat anything you've all written!

Scrap Happy 08-07-2011 06:26 AM

In 04 Hurricane Jean hit us in early September. This was during the building boom in our town. There were out houses in front of every house that was being built and you could find new construction on every street. A friend of DH’s said that one of the out houses slammed into the side of his house. EEEEEEWWWWW!!!! :shock: So funny though.

cjomomma 08-07-2011 06:41 AM

I heard the storms last night but didn't get up to see what was happening.
I can't beat what anyone mentioned but I found it amazing that roofing tiles can cause a lot of damage during 100mph winds.

moonwork42029 08-07-2011 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by suebee
After one of our monsoon storms a couple of weeks ago, DH had to go to the credit union and there in the parking lot was a huge trampoline as if someone just sat it there.LOL

About 4 -5 years ago, we bought our DD & SIL a trampoline for Christmas. They had just set it up and a storm came through that night...they ran outside to see what was going on and grabbed the railing as it hit the side of their house. They wisely let go of it just as the wind tossed it up on their roof. They had to leave it there overnight and get it off the next morning...so much for a Christmas gift.

DogHouseMom 08-07-2011 06:50 AM

An automobile and a patio umbrella.

I was a kid and a tornado came through. Once over we went out to inspect. Mom's first question to Dad was "why did you park the car in the middle of the lawn". "I didn't" was his reply. Car was perfectly fine - it just moved from the driveway AROUND THE CORNER OF THE HOUSE and landed in the yard.

The other odd thing was Sis noticed our patio umbrella was missing. Then we found it. Wide opened and sticking out the roof of the house behind us like a giant cocktail. Again, umbrella was fine ... can't say the same for the neighbors roof.

collady 08-07-2011 07:04 AM

I watched the storms pass through KY and TN and wished that we could get some in AR. It is also so needed in OK and TX.