Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Are you old enough to know what these are? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/you-old-enough-know-what-these-t83148.html)

pittsburgpam 12-15-2010 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They were my mother's and a small memento that I kept of hers. I hadn't seen one of these in a very long time and I remember her using them.

Of course, Nosey over here had to come and check it out.

purplefiend 12-15-2010 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
They were my mother's and a small memento that I kept of hers. I hadn't seen one of these in a very long time and I remember her using them.

Those are sprinklers for ironing clothing. It went in a Coke bottle that was filled with water. I recall using them as a child of about 8 or 9 at Grandma's when I was helping with the ironing.
Thanks for the memory, Grandma Ruth has been gone a long time; I sure miss her.

QuiltnCowgirl 12-15-2010 09:49 PM

Yes! Wow haven't seen those in a looooonnnng time lol. Those were used on bottles (soda bottles?)- precurser to the spray bottles of today. I remember my Grandma's & Mom using them to sprinkle water on linens & clothing when they were ironing.

Sarah 12-15-2010 09:50 PM

Yes, I am...they are sprinklers. Fill a bottle with water and put the top on and then sprinkle the clothes when they came off the line, roll them up and put in a plastic bag or pillow case, ater a while you ironed the clothes, the dampness made them easier to iron. If you didn't get around to ironing right way you put the clothes in the refrigerator so they didn't sour.

kima 12-15-2010 09:50 PM

They are for ironing to sprinkle water on garments

pookie ookie 12-15-2010 09:51 PM

I had no idea but now recall seeing bottles used in movies. Still wouldn't be able to identify those pieces though. Cool mama mementos.

pittsburgpam 12-15-2010 09:52 PM

Yep, yep. I have her old iron too with the cloth cord. :)

shequilts 12-15-2010 09:55 PM

OK, now you'll all know how really old I am: My mom and grandmother used these inserted into a brown glass Clorox bottle. It was a little smaller in diameter than a 2 liter bottle. I can't imagine how many years since they put chloring bleach in glass bottles.

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam

Jim's Gem 12-15-2010 09:58 PM

I remember those. My mom had them on her water bottle for sprinkling on clothes while ironing!!

amma 12-15-2010 10:12 PM

Yep, mom, gramas, aunts, neighbors, everyone used these back when you ironed everything LOL :D:D:D