Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Are you stocking up on light bulbs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/you-stocking-up-light-bulbs-t236662.html)

nativetexan 12-14-2013 07:48 AM

I should. I never know what to buy anymore. it's very confusing!!

BellaBoo 12-14-2013 07:57 AM

Some of you are confused:

Like all fluorescent lamps, CFs contain mercury, a neurotoxin especially dangerous to children and pregnant women, which complicates their disposal.

The incandescent bulbs are filled with inert gas.

QuiltedCello 12-14-2013 11:34 AM

I LOVED when CFLs came out. Incandescents give my place some of the worst lighting ever, and CFLs were better. I now have LED bulbs which are way nicer to me, expensive little buggers, but I've got two that are 4 years old and they are as bright as ever.

nativetexan 12-14-2013 01:27 PM

I picked up a pkg in the grocery store of what I thought was a normal round bulb. I hit it against the grocery cart when putting it in and it shattered. well the outside round covering shattered. it was one of the curly ones inside. I put it back!! myhubby likes light! I got two halogen bulbs for the bathroom light fixture above the sink. it takes awhile forthem toget bright, but bright they get!

omaluvs2quilt 12-14-2013 01:44 PM

CFLS are the big ...lie. They are toxic (Mercury), they emit UV rays, They use considerably more power when used in short term use lighting, and they trigger migraines and seizures in some people. But, Nanny knows best.

One of the downsides with compact fluorescent light bulbs is the high start-up voltage that is required due to the ballast regulating the current. These light bulbs are therefore not as cost-efficient when used for shorter periods of time (switched on and off a lot) as opposed to being switched on for longer periods. The constant On/Off cycles also reduce the bulb's lifespan by as much a half, creating cost to purchase more bulbs more often and filling our landfills with heavy metal toxins. We've gone to LEDs as well, because I have severe head pain due to a previous carotid artery dissection, and can not tolerate the new lights at all. They are expensive, but we get deals at Costco.

gale 12-14-2013 06:39 PM

I hate CFL lights. They give me migraines. I have stocked up on light bulbs but when they're gone I'll probably switch to LED for those sizes. The government sucks.

gale 12-14-2013 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by barri1 (Post 6455628)
I switched awhile ago. The incandescent light have mercury in them, and they are a hazmet problem.

FYI You switched for nothing then. The incandescent are safe-the new CFL ones are the ones that require a hazmat team and total evacuation (slight exaggeration) if you break them.

lovelyl 12-15-2013 04:12 AM

We have three overhead fans with lights. The manuals state you cannot use CF bulbs in them. The fans are only about 4 years old and I don't want to have to replace them Guess I need to stock up on regular bulbs for the fan lights. Now to find a place to store all those bulbs...

MaryKatherine 12-15-2013 04:23 AM

yep!
MaryKatherine

MamaHen 12-15-2013 04:35 AM

We are slowly switching over to the LED's, spendy critters. Put two in the overheads over my long arm in my sewing room, WOW what a difference.