Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Are you stocking up on staples? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/you-stocking-up-staples-t124011.html)

Olivia's Grammy 05-18-2011 12:04 PM

With all the flooding are stocking up?
If so what are you buying?
Where are you storing it?
What are you storing it in?
We have 2 freezers that will be running over before the end of the harvest. I plan to can a few more and different things this year.

erstan947 05-18-2011 12:10 PM

The latest word where we are is we won't flood. That could always change. Won't know for sure til next week....so far so good. We live on the Ouachita River that comes out of Arkansas.

ontheriver 05-18-2011 12:11 PM

I have one large freezer which I have filled to overflowing, but to me this is not stocking up, I do it twice a year. For a month or so I shop the meat sales, buy one get one, at local Win Dixie. I also stock my pantry pretty full to just so i don't have to shop as often cause we are so rural. I pick up milk, bread, produce as I need it. I have lots of the old style Tupperware canisters that seem to keep things fresh forever. Most of my dry goods go in these. Cans fill the shelves. Maybe it's good I do this, I have enough to tide me over for several months. I wish I could plant things as I have plenty of land, but I have a BLACK thumb. I can grow houseplants the size of small trees, but if it is outside I will kill it in a minute. Never canned anything, don't have a clue how to do it. Also, I live right on the Alabama river, I mean it is in my backyard, and here the river is lower than normal for this time of year. i think they opened the dam gates early on to keep it from flooding.

bobbie1 05-18-2011 12:19 PM

We are stocking up but not because of flooding. Anything we use and if it is on sale, we buy. Have can goods, 2 freezers full and of course, paper products. I was raised a country girl and my parents always stocked up. Granted...they canned fruit and vegs and slaughter beef and pigs. Habits are hard to break though. But...never know what tomorrow brings. And yes, I am continuously rotating as I use it. I am not able to work a garden so my neighbor and I have worked out a plan..my husband plowed her garden up..she and him planted...she will work it and pick beans, etc. I will string the beans..she will can them..I bought the lids and rings...works for us. Have a great neighbor.

cherrio 05-18-2011 12:51 PM

You are referring not to our own land flooding as much as the country's farmers land flooding right? yes, I will stock up what I can afford to as the only way our prices are going is UP!

Olivia's Grammy 05-18-2011 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by cherrio
You are referring not to our own land flooding as much as the country's farmers land flooding right? yes, I will stock up what I can afford to as the only way our prices are going is UP!

I am referring to floods all over the world, plus all the diasters that happening all over.
Yes, I too, believe that that the only way prices are going to go is up.

moonwork42029 05-18-2011 01:26 PM

Regretfully I do not have the room or extra funds at this time to stock up more than a couple weeks.

CarrieAnne 05-18-2011 01:36 PM

I always stock up a bit in the Summer, in case of Winter storms, and because we have a garden, ect.

OHSue 05-18-2011 02:24 PM

I use paper clips.... ;)

FancyFoot 05-18-2011 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by OHSue
I use paper clips.... ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: