Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Your choice for security software? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/your-choice-security-software-t248607.html)

Onebyone 06-18-2014 05:12 AM

I have used AVG (free) every since it was available. I have never had a virus even before the browsers had built in protection. The main thing is to have Email virus protection and AVG has that. It auto updates and auto runs checks. I set it one time and forget it.

SingerSewer 06-18-2014 05:33 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials...used it for a couple of years and been very, very happy. No problems, no cost and works!

judy363905 06-18-2014 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6763002)
I use avast free Essential from this site. http://www.avast.com/index

I've used it for 5 years, thru 3 computers, after a few years of problems with McAfee, with NO problems now ever. You will receive notices to upgrade to the $ version, but I have never upgraded and don't regret it. Highly recommend avast. :)

Jan in VA

Great timing, just received a email from Norton to update for $49.99. That is $30.00 discount as a 79.99 regular price.
We were happy with Norton, as we had many problems with McAfee...when we had McAfee we crashed, when we called they they told us for $$$ they could tell us where the virus came from I asked why they did not stop it. Of course I did not receive a decent answer to that question. I will try avast.com. Thank you very much Jan

Amarillo19 06-18-2014 05:50 AM

We use Kaspersky. I think even the computer magazines recommend it; I know the salesman at Best Buy said it's the best.

Lady Diana 06-18-2014 05:59 AM

Have had Microsoft Essentials and Malware Bytes on four machine in our household with no problems. the Microsoft Essentials is called something else now, both are free and are good. Had Norton, mcAfee, both slowed the computers down a lot. Also had problems getting Norton off two of our machines. Had to wipe the drive and start over....never Norton again. I had heard that AVG is good, but I'm not messing with anything unless I have issues....The free versions of Essentials now Windows Defender and Malware Bytes does the job.

romanojg 06-18-2014 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana (Post 6763579)
Have had Microsoft Essentials and Malware Bytes on four machine in our household with no problems. the Microsoft Essentials is called something else now, both are free and are good. Had Norton, mcAfee, both slowed the computers down a lot. Also had problems getting Norton off two of our machines. Had to wipe the drive and start over....never Norton again. I had heard that AVG is good, but I'm not messing with anything unless I have issues....The free versions of Essentials now Windows Defender and Malware Bytes does the job.

I just bought a new laptop and on it is Windows Essentials 2013, so it still uses that name. I was happy to see it already installed when I got it and I didn't have to download it after getting rid of Norton. It does a good job. I've had it on my XP laptop and my Win 7 and now my Win 8, all doing well.

Jan in VA 06-18-2014 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by roguequilter (Post 6763451)
i have been using AVG Free for last ten years. very good, ..... i now run AVG Free on hers [mil], mine & hubbys computers. no problems. monitors email, surfing security ..keeps you clean & safe. and it's Free.

This is the one I was suggesting. I had forgotten that it is not so "back heavy" as some of the others, which makes it work better on older computers. Loads more quickly.

Jan in VA

CookyIN 06-18-2014 10:59 AM

I agree with Jan in VA -- avast is wonderful. I got McAfee with a new computer I bought and caught a virus that lost everything. I've been using the free version of avast for about 5 years now with never a problem.

ube quilting 06-18-2014 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by dd (Post 6763387)
My son is IT and he says to use Kaspersky. Don't think I've had any problems with it.lol

This is what I use too, for a few years now and so far no problems at all.

roguequilter 06-18-2014 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana (Post 6763579)

i have had that problem e norton also. besides being a system hog, it is a nightmare to do a clean removal