Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Zendoodling.. my new fun for when I can't sew! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/zendoodling-my-new-fun-when-i-cant-sew-t238669.html)

yobrosew 02-21-2014 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by cindi (Post 6587347)
Yobrosew, save your money on books and patterns. Go to www.tanglepatterns.com - they've got hundreds of free patterns that are featured in the books, and links to dozens of other tangle sites with even more patterns. And don't buy the Micron pens that are labeled for Zentangles. Get the pack that's got .005, .01, .02, .03, .05 and .08-sized pens. It's a better value and is all you'll need for tangles. Unless you want all of the "official" Zentangle patterns. Then you have to take a class to get those. Many of their patterns are in their newsletter online and at tanglepatterns, though.

I use the white 4.5x6" cardstock paper from Hobby Lobby in the scrapbooking section to draw on. They've got it right now 50% off (which means about $3 for 100 sheets!), a nice thickness, and a much better value than the "tiles" Zentangles wants you to buy. While those tiles are nice, throwing them away when you make a mistake is costly! Or just get an inexpensive 4x6 drawing tablet. I'm all for saving money when it comes to drawing, LOL!

Thanks for the info, particularly about your paper choice. Pen info good, too. What about gel pens?

yobrosew 02-21-2014 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by cindi (Post 6578380)
Judy, I just look for royalty-free cartoons. Or, if I find I cartoon I really like that's not royalty-free I'll try to draw up my own from the pic. Because the cartoons I use are so simple and free of extraneous detail, it's pretty easy to change it up. I mean, really, how difficult is it to draw a simple thimble? Or a thread spool? Pretty much a couple of curved and straight lines! Sometimes you just need the inspiration or idea!

Hi, Neighbor. You are a very easy one-hour drive from me. :)

cindi 02-21-2014 04:20 AM

Yobrosew, any pens will do when you're first trying it out, but the Microns are the best I've found overall, and I've tried a lot of them. Gel pens tend to smear, and Microns are smooth and dry instantly.

wildyard 02-21-2014 12:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So far I have been using pencil, regular pens and inexpensive color pens from the dollar store. I've been drawing on printer paper and the backs of lined index cards, also from the dollar store.

I guess by now I'm hooked enough to get myself some good pens. I am tired of dealing with the little blobs of ink the cheap ones all seem to drop now and then.

Are the pens a special type that dry instantly? Do they come in color? I hope to visit Hobby Lobby on Monday... fingers crossed the drawing paper is still on sale.
Attaching a couple newer tangles. Come on and share some of yours, you guys!

I'm having fun getting others to draw the string for me. My DH drew the string that became the Grumperfish. My daughter drew the string for the Musicaltangle.

wildyard 02-21-2014 12:15 PM

OOPS, sorry, I see on review that I already posted the hearts one. My bad!!!

judy363905 02-21-2014 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard (Post 6588297)
OOPS, sorry, I see on review that I already posted the hearts one. My bad!!!

No worries. We were just able to enjoy your work a second time. Please
Keep posting.

I will look into Miro pens. I have been using Pen, India Ink and
watercolors

Judy in Phx, AZ

cindi 02-26-2014 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Having some fun with 3-D shapes, too!

yonnikka 02-26-2014 07:14 AM

Hi, WildYard, I like what you do... this zendoodling. May I have permission to put a couple of your images on my FB page? I'll give you a codename like North of Syracuse. I think this should be shared with others who are housebound, hibernating, and otherwise unbusy this winter. thanks.

wildyard 02-26-2014 08:20 AM

yonnikka, please feel free to share with others. Just use my nic, wildyard, as that is what I go by most places. It isn't my facebook name but that is ok.

Doing the zendoodling is great for me as it distracts me from my pain and occupies my time. I am happy if it helps out anyone else who can use it to their benefit! Hugs and smiles!

judy363905 02-27-2014 07:05 AM

Cindi. Love the 3D doodles. You are awesome. More new ideas. :)

Judy in Phx, AZ