Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Zithromax (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/zithromax-t189257.html)

Tartan 05-17-2012 09:54 AM

Zithromax

On the news this morning there was a new warning for people with heart problems. It said the antibiotic Zithromax has been shown to double the risk of a heart attack for people with heart problems. This powerful antibiotic is used mostly for bronchitis and related ailments. I thought I would pass this along in case you missed it.

nativetexan 05-17-2012 12:01 PM

thanks, i'd not heard of it though.

DebraK 05-18-2012 05:34 AM

I had a severe allergic reaction to the stuff. You might know it as Z-Pak. It's a five day course of antibiotics. Huge pills!

Sunnye 05-18-2012 06:26 AM

Thank goodness I am allergic to all the -mycin drugs. I also have a heart arhythmia!

Jingle 05-18-2012 01:52 PM

We heard that today and they said it is used for sinus infections too. I think that is what I took it for 10-14 years ago. Nice (sneer) of them to find out after it has been out for so long.

mountain deb 05-18-2012 03:33 PM

All drugs have the potential to do some harm to the body, that is why I stick with herbal products when I can. They have been around for a long time.

burchquilts 05-18-2012 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5223758)
On the news this morning there was a new warning for people with heart problems. It said the antibiotic Zithromax has been shown to double the risk of a heart attack for people with heart problems. This powerful antibiotic is used mostly for bronchitis and related ailments. I thought I would pass this along in case you missed it.

Yep, I heard it from Brian Williams & in my world, if Bri Wi says it, it's the gospel! Good thing I'm allergic!

wordpaintervs 05-19-2012 02:43 PM

I used it before (about 3 times) and thank the Lord, I didn't have a problem. I won't use it again though, now that I know. I'm allergic to all kinds of medication, foods, molds, etc etc

Vickey S.

misseva 05-21-2012 10:24 AM

It's one of the few meds I'm not allergic to. I take it for complications from allergies when I let them go too far before going to the doctor.

bearisgray 05-21-2012 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by mountain deb (Post 5226672)
All drugs have the potential to do some harm to the body, that is why I stick with herbal products when I can. They have been around for a long time.

Some 'natural' things are extremely toxic, too.

Isn't is strange/amazing that some things that are very toxic, can also be healing (or at least, palliative) in certain circumstances?

I wish I knew more about what plants are good for what. I bought a couple of books that I thought might be educational, but there is no substitute for seeing the plants and having a mentor/tutor to teach one about them.