Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Puppy Training

Blog Entries
    We are in the process of getting a small breed puppy. Does anybody have a recommendation for a training book? This will be our first puppy. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    We are in the process of getting a small breed puppy. Does anybody have a recommendation for a training book? This will be our first puppy. Thanks!
    Cesar Millan (the dog whisperer) has a new puppy training thing, but I'd also suggest signing up for a class for the hands-on training and socialization aspects.

How exciting!!

saf
    I live in the UK so can't recommend any books. How exciting that this is your first puppy. What breed are you thinking about getting?

There is a lot of information online... often by veterinarians or veterinarian assistants. Also, the hands-on training with pet stores will give you the basics. If you want to spend more money there are private trainers who will come to your house...look online for your local area, try the newspaper, ask at a pet shop.

If its your first puppy I'd highly recommend going to a trainer. It may cost more than getting a book but your getting help from someone that has experience and if you have questions you're able to ask.

One thing for sure, don't use puppy pads. Once you get a puppy they are old enough where you should be training them to go outside, take them out every few hours. If you put puppy pads in your house it makes it harder for the puppy to understand that it should be going outside rather than just using the bathroom in the house.

A lot of people recommend puppy pads, but my parents bread dogs when I was growing up and its a big no no once you take a puppy home.

I had really good luck with the puppy pads, but I never just let them go on them, once they started for the pad, I took them outside. Good luck with your new pup

We just bought a 9 week old pug puppy. I don't know about a book but I use tons of positive reinforcement. It's tiring. Yetserday there were just a few accidents but we're on a roll now including a trip outside at 3:00 a.m.. We're gradually starting to get him on more of a feeding schedule--that helps you know when they might need to use the facilities.

Drogo
    Name:  Attachment-232765.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  70.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
    We just bought a 9 week old pug puppy. I don't know about a book but I use tons of positive reinforcement. It's tiring. Yetserday there were just a few accidents but we're on a roll now including a trip outside at 3:00 a.m.. We're gradually starting to get him on more of a feeding schedule--that helps you know when they might need to use the facilities.
    Aww, adorable!!! Thanks for sharing a picture.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Aww, that puppy is so cute! My son has a puppy and he uses positive reinforcement all the time. Hey, it works for people, too!! :D:D
    I used to read a book called No Bad Dogs The Woodhouse Way.
    This lady is now deceased but she was quite famous and I bet you can still find it somewhere. Good luck!
    Show us puppy pics!!!!!!!!

he is soooooo cute!

We have a new puppy as well. He will be our second dane. The first time around I did all the reading and took a class at Petsmart. The trainer was great for the basics, but we had no socialization bc our class was full of older dogs that were repeating bc the didnt get it the first time. Make sure you take a class full of puppies. Our dane learned to lunge and growl from another dog in the class and now hates all dogs on leash. I learned alot and that enabled me to work at home and I have a very well behaved dog.

Consistency is the key and a very yummy treat, we used salmon ones. We also used a clicker and then weaned off of it.

Here is Max with our new addition Harley, he is 9 weeks in this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would suggest getting a dog crate. I know people dislike them and think that they are being cruel.

I have a German Shepherd and a Shepherd mix.... and for me they work great. My dogs put themselves in their crate when my boys get to be too much for them. :) It is nice safe place that is their 'den'

It also helps in the house training stage, as dogs often do not prefer to dirty their 'den'

Good luck with your puppy!!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by denise d
    I would suggest getting a dog crate. I know people dislike them and think that they are being cruel.

I have a German Shepherd and a Shepherd mix.... and for me they work great. My dogs put themselves in their crate when my boys get to be too much for them. :) It is nice safe place that is their 'den'

It also helps in the house training stage, as dogs often do not prefer to dirty their 'den'

Good luck with your puppy!!! :)
    I'm an advocate for crate training as well. Some dogs outgrow their crates but others never do, for one reason or another. Of my four beagles, two of them don't use crates and two of them do, one because he can be aggressive and the other because she can be destructive. But ALL dogs -- puppies or not -- start off in crates here until they get the hang of things, and I think it makes a huge, positive difference!

Check out books by Ian Dunbar. There is also loads of info on dogwise.com. Good luck with your new baby!

Susan

I agree with those who recommend professional training. With our last dog, we took her to classes at PetSmart - a very good program. She was older than the "puppy" class, so we put her into one with older dogs, and she did just fine and socialized very easily.

Our current dog was 9 months when we got her and hadn't been socialized, so we have hired a trainer to come in and work one-on-one with her. As part of the training, we will take her to his business site (he also kennels dogs) and let her get used to being around other dogs. We've just started the program, and I'm liking it already. Since we had been able to teach her some of the basics like sit, down, stay, etc., the trainer can focus on more of the behavioral aspects of her training.

Quote Originally Posted by HollyInfinite
    If its your first puppy I'd highly recommend going to a trainer. It may cost more than getting a book but your getting help from someone that has experience and if you have questions you're able to ask.

One thing for sure, don't use puppy pads. Once you get a puppy they are old enough where you should be training them to go outside, take them out every few hours. If you put puppy pads in your house it makes it harder for the puppy to understand that it should be going outside rather than just using the bathroom in the house.

A lot of people recommend puppy pads, but my parents bread dogs when I was growing up and its a big no no once you take a puppy home.
    I have to agree about the puppy pads. I got my DGD a mini dachshund a year ago. Being we all work during the day I put down piddle pads for him. As of now he is very well trained........to use a piddle pad. We are having some success with learning to go outside but it's an uphill battle. Thank goodness he is a small dog.

Kas
    I agree with the crate thing. As for books, "Mother Knows Best" by Carol Leah Benjamin is the best book on dog training I have ever read. She also has some others. She even has a blog. Look her up. She is fabulous.

I sure your head is swimming with people telling you what to do. But just remember a dog is almost like a 2 year old who never grows up. It needs to learn what is acceptable and what is not. Also a good dog is a tired dog and a tired dog is a good dog. Dogs need two things physical exercise and smelling exercise. They cannot watch tv. What they smell is like their tv. Remember you are getting a baby. A puppy is just like a baby and needs lots of attention and praise. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    The pup on my avatar is 8 months old now. We have had a uphill battle with the training. He is finally coming around a little bit. I wish we had gotten him professional traing. Maybe we still could.

what a cutie!

I would also strongly recommend the Woodhouse books. Great for home training! Her instructions and techniques are very easy to understand and use. Very common sense. Big thing is consistency, just like a little kid. They don't understand why it's okay one time, but not the next. I don't know WHY my husband still doesn't understand this!

I have to add my two cents - I just loved this and wish I would have had this tip earlier.

We do the bell by the door to let us know when they want to go out. Works like a charm!

Good luck!! :)

Ok got the puppy trained, my question when will these kittens calm down, who knew 2 kittens could be so distructive.

Quote Originally Posted by cminor
    I have to add my two cents - I just loved this and wish I would have had this tip earlier.

We do the bell by the door to let us know when they want to go out. Works like a charm!

Good luck!! :)
    YES! We do this, too! The other day Charlie (the one in my avatar) even rang the bell to go outside and get his ball. They really do learn. LOL

Oh! What an adorable face!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast