Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question about needles for a Viking huskyock 905 serger - >

Question about needles for a Viking huskyock 905 serger -

Question about needles for a Viking huskyock 905 serger -

Old 09-20-2015, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Default Question about needles for a Viking huskyock 905 serger -

Hope this will stay - this machine is maybe only 10 years old - so not quite old enough - IMO - to qualify for vintage - but I was told that this model has been discontinued

My question:

The manual says to use "regular" 705H system needles in a Husqvarna/Viking Huskylock 905 serger.

The lady at the Sewing Machine section at Jo-Ann's insisted that I should use the Overlock Inspira EL x 705 needles and that the "regular ones caused problems.

Any one have any advice for me???
Old 09-20-2015, 04:54 PM

I have this serger and I was told by a Viking/Husqvarna dealer not to use anything but Schmetz needles. Those machines where manufactured to specifically use Schmetz needles only.

The reason I was told this is because I was having problems with my serger and I bought all kinds of needles thinking that was the issue. It ended up being the timing and when there where servicing it they noticed I had the inspira needles in the machine and they left a big note saying not to use them.

Over the years in have used everything from a size 10 to a 16 both stretch and woven. I found my machine like size 14 the best though.

Last edited by kylenstevesmom; 09-20-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Power Poster

Thank you..
Old 09-22-2015, 04:02 AM

I have the 905 AND the 936, which is computerized. I use regular Schmetz 80/12 needles in both of them. I love the 905, never had any trouble with it. It HAS been discontinued, but in my estimation, only because it is a good machine and well built. My Viking dealer told me the newer Viking sergers are not made by Viking and are not as well made inside. So keep the machine and buy a bunch of Schmetz 80/12needles and you will be good to go for years to come.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:01 AM

I have this serger and love, love, love it!! Never given me a bit of trouble, and that's after buying it from a woman who used it all the time, so it had a lot of miles on it. I've even bought & owned the 910 and 936 and sold them both because I liked the 905 even more!!
Old 09-22-2015, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tlpa View Post
I have this serger and love, love, love it!! Never given me a bit of trouble, and that's after buying it from a woman who used it all the time, so it had a lot of miles on it. I've even bought & owned the 910 and 936 and sold them both because I liked the 905 even more!!
I bought mine at a yard sale - it did have the manual and the plastic cover with it - and a lot of thread! - but no other accessories.

I am happy to hear that those that have responded have been satisfied with this model.

tipa - what kind of needles do you use?