Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: question about perfumes

question about perfumes

I think this has been asked before but I need help. I bought a few pretty pieces of clothing at a thrift store and they use febreeze on everything and I am so sensitive to perfumes. I have washed them 3 times - in vinegar, with borax, with both together. Hung them outside and I thought I had it fixed but put a shirt on and in an hour with the heat of my body I could smell it and I was headachy and miserable. Does anyone know of a way to get that stuff out of things?
    Lynda

Power Poster
    I would soak the shirt in at tub with a whole box of baking soda. I would use very hot water to disolve the soda and then add cold water until warm and put in the shirt to soak.

there are a couple of things you can try. One is a product called Nature's Miracle and you can find it in pet stores. It's sold to remove pet odors, but you can use it for all kinds of smells. Stinky drain? pour a bit down there. There's a formulation specifically for laundry. Another, even though it sounds weird, would require putting the dry clothing in a zip lock bag and freezing it. You may have to leave it in the freezer for a couple of weeks. I've gotten rid of some odors on things that way, although it doesn't always work.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I've used ammonia to get rid of the perfumes. I've had to soak couple of shirts and cotton dresses from estate sales. It helped a lot and then one day I soaked some others in a bucket/plastic container with Dawn dish soap and water as hot as I could stand it. Agitated it, doused up and down and let it set for an hour or so. Transferred the bucket to my washer and ran through a cycle did a double rinse. Took out the odor better than anything else I've used. ANother reason these closthes don't get past the door.

Blog Entries
    I like Tartan's idea with the baking soda. Think I would soak it for an entire day.

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    I bought a brand new pure wool blanket at the thrift store but they had stored it with moth balls.
    It was in the middle of the winter and I washed it and put it outside wet, where it froze and stayed frozen for a couple of weeks.
    Brought it in and popped it in the dryer, all the smell was gone. Since it's winter in Montana, give it a try.
    Good luck!
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

I too can not tolerate fragrance and end up with a migraine. When ever I buy clothing from the thrift store I hang them outside for two to three weeks before I wash them.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Thank you all for the suggestions. They are hanging outside on the line right now and have been for 2 days we have had below zero temp at night. If that doesn't work I will try one of the other things. If I can buy a product that would be wonderful since my budget means I buy a lot at thrift stores.
    Lynda

Lynda,
    I'm assuming the clothes that are retaining the odors have a percentage of polyester in them; it seems to me that the synthetics have that characteristic as well as retaining grease stains. I've had good luck with Lestoil for both grease and odors in synthetics. If the clothesline method you're using now doesn't work, try soaking for an hour in a warm solution of Lestoil and water, then washing as usual and line drying. Wet garments hold the residual odor of Lestoil briefly, but line drying gets rid of it and the other odors.

I do not like odors of any kind. Lingering odors of perfume or cleaning products get on my nerves after a while, will give me a headache.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Burn 'em....
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Blog Entries
    Freezing on the line. I find I hate the final finish on new clothes. I hang outside in winter for couple of days in summer I wash the dry outside. New clothes having to be washed before wearing.
    achhhh.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I have never heard of Lestiol. I will google it. Thanks
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
    Lynda,
    I'm assuming the clothes that are retaining the odors have a percentage of polyester in them; it seems to me that the synthetics have that characteristic as well as retaining grease stains. I've had good luck with Lestoil for both grease and odors in synthetics. If the clothesline method you're using now doesn't work, try soaking for an hour in a warm solution of Lestoil and water, then washing as usual and line drying. Wet garments hold the residual odor of Lestoil briefly, but line drying gets rid of it and the other odors.

Guessing you are kidding since my social security check doesn't cover much to allow burning good clothes.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Kimkankwilt View Post
    Burn 'em....

By the time you buy the products to get the scent out of the clothes, the time and water used, you could have bought new ones and saved all the hassle. I've had good results from a vet's product to remove pet odors but it isn't cheap. I would have burnt them by now too! LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbuchholz View Post
    I have never heard of Lestiol. I will google it. Thanks
    Lynda
    You might want to Google "Lestoil" instead (nyuk, nyuk). Get it? Less toil! It's been around forever. Lowe's, Sears, Walgreens and other places have it.

Power Poster
    I would soak them in water with a little oda-ban....

I once asked my local Salvation Army thrift shop what they spray the clothes/upholstered furniture with and they told me it was a fumigant for bugs! Yuck! Okay smell, sort of similar to Frebreze, but still, spraying for bugs??? Makes me think twice about buying there. I do, but I wash everything! I use regular detergent (no dye or perfume) and either line dry or toss in dryer. 99.9% of the time, the smell does come out. Occasionally, if the clothing is polyester or rayon, the smell stays unless I dry clean the item, which defeats the "cheap" purchase price.

One thought, if you have a Tractor Supply store near you, they sell lots of odor ban products and some are not very expensive. These are usually an enzyme product and are used to counteract urine and poo smells. They work very well. I've used these on carpet and couches when my pups have had accidents. These may work for your clothes, too.

Good luck and let us know what you used to get rid of the smell.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I would soak the shirt in at tub with a whole box of baking soda. I would use very hot water to disolve the soda and then add cold water until warm and put in the shirt to soak.
    i would add to this a good squirt of dawn dish soap at the start of this method to break down the volitile oils from the perfume. Even fabreeze has volitile oils. Careful how hot the water you start with is, go by the label for temperature since it will work in cooler water too. When it has soaked for an hour, rinse and wring a couple times, then wash as usual. Do not dry until there is no smell left. Each trip through the dryer can "set" the smell more.

I once bought a beautiful comforter at Goodwil that had been stored with lavender scent. I did not notice it until we got into the closed car just how bad it was! I am highly allergic to lavender. We drove home in the rain with the windows down so I could breathe. Dawn and baking soda worked so I could use it on my bed. Saved me, hope it saves you. Blessings.
    Last edited by madamekelly; 12-01-2015 at 09:37 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I want to thank everyone who gave me ideas. I think I will look for the products mentioned since I buy the majority of my clothes from thrift stores and I am sure the price will average out. I left the clothes outside for 3 days and that seemed to have done the trick.
    Thanks again for the helpful suggestions
    Lynda