Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question to all of the husbands/guys or military men

Banned
    So ladies and gentlemen my husband and I are at odds here over the fabric type for the quilts I make for Police/Fire and Military. I understand Men are men and don't want girly fabric and patriotic fabric is so darn expensive and is not in stock all year round. (I realize women serve too he thinks they should all be the same men or women) So when I had the opportunity to purchase a bunch of fabric by the pound I bought a lot of red/white/blue yes some may have some tone on tone flowers but they are little. Here is where we differ I say that it should not matter it is a homemade quilt and it is still patriotic. I need the advice of the husbands and guys out there for another view here. So does it matter? Do those flowers in there spoil the quilt.

The other thing is sometimes the quilts go to the wives of the heros who have given their life in the line of duty. I will admit to him that I am wrong and get the other fabric but I really do not think I am.

Thank you to all who have served or have a family memer that has served You are true heros!!
    Nikki

I'm not the hubby, but I have DH, 5 DS, 1 SIL, 2 DGS, 3 BIL and a FIL, so have done quilts and other crafts for guys of all ages. As long as the flowers are not prominant and don't look 'frilly' or 'girly' they usually don't even notice that hey there's flowers in that square there. The colors and the design of the blocks/quilt are what they notice first.

I did a mock camo quilt for a very 'gotta prove I'm macho' little 9/10 yo boy who thought he was big stuff and 3 or 4 of the fabrics had flowers and if he didn't get upset I don't think very many of the guys will. I told the little boy's mom that if she needed to, she could tell him the outline print flowers weren't flowers, they were amoebas!

Here's a site that I've purchased military fabric from. Not really bad in pricing and in the past have carried all branches.

http://www.4my3boyz.com/

Blog Entries
    You're in a pickle here.....

IF you admit you're WRONG, you'll GO BUY MORE FABRIC.....

Boy that's a tough one! LOL :)

my DH is retired Army. Small flowers are fine, tone on tone is fine. What matters is, you made and donated a quilt. The colors and pattern are your choice. Any soldier would be proud to recieve one. I can't speak for the firemen and police officers, but they have the same mindset. I made my DH a quilt from scraps of our kids clothes, boy and girls, and he loves it. Any red white and blue would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Here's a site that I've purchased military fabric from. Not really bad in pricing and in the past have carried all branches.

http://www.4my3boyz.com/
    Great site Thank you! :thumbup:

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    How much more American can you get than making a quilt???? I have to take your side. A quilt should go with that saying about baseball and apple pie :D

I am taking your side too!!!!!!! A quilt is so AWESOME, some teensy flowers wont matter a bit!

JJs
    Banned
    my son received a service quilt while in Iraq - he was touched and has never once mentioned if there were any flowers anywhere...

I would say like someone else...as long as it's not "frilly" or "girlie" then flowers are a-ok. It's the overall FEEL of the quilt that matters.

My view is...If someone receiving one of your quilts and they're picky about small flowers.....Maybe the wrong person got it. People need to be greatful and thankful for people like you who donate your time and effort and $'s to do something for them. Sew on.....with many many blessings....

Blog Entries
    My husband wears floral shirts all of the time (hawaiian) and trust me...there's NOTHING "girly" about him!!

Guess it all depends on how secure in one's masculinity one is... ;) :lol: I don't see a thing wrong with using floral prints...especially ones like you've described!

Go for it! Some of the quilts I have seen made for those that serve us in so many ways have flowers. I will check with my military people that come into the office on Monday and get back with you.

My Army man helps in fabric selection. Flowers are fine. He hates camouflage in a quilt. He wants the blankets to represent home and not the deployment.

My son is a Sergeant in the National Guard. He thinks flowers are fine as long as the overall feel to the quilt is not feminine. Of coarse in todays Army there are lots of female soldiers too!.
    Keep doing what you are doing. It is a wonderful tribute to those who serve in the military. :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    My Army man helps in fabric selection. Flowers are fine. He hates camouflage in a quilt. He wants the blankets to represent home and not the deployment.
    And THAT'S a really good point, too! :D

Good point above, Rebecca vlq and pookie ookie,
    Not a Guy, but any guy quilts I've given seem to be recieved well, as long as not too frilly, Wouldn't put a lg floral, but would fall leaves.
    Keep up the good works, w/what you have, chances are you will have no returns !! :)

I admire you for making quilts to be given to those in the Service. I asked my DH, 2 DS's & 19 yr old DGS about your question. They have all been given quilts I've made & they have had sm floral fabrics in them. They love them and do not mind sm florals at all. It is the overall colors that usually show up. And my men are certainly NOT feminine. LOL

I'm on your side too!
    Doesn't matter.
    Asked hubby and he said they appreciate what they get and if you were to make one for him, he'd take it in pink! Ok, his favorite color is pink lol