Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question for the Computerites on this Board

While I have been around the world of computers much longer than I care to admit, this Internet really baffles this grandma sometimes. Now backing up a bit, let me give you an idea (and laugh) from what cave I come. Would you believe while I was in college those hard drives were as large as a standing grandfather clock and kept behind class enclosures! lol

Anyway, I keep getting an email from the major credit rating companies (although I doubt that it is really them) with the subject line as follows
    Alert: Your 2011 Credit-Report-Score Has Problems.

Obviously, I know I do not owe anyone any money so I am not worried but how in the world did they get my eaddress and an address I seldom use? Unfortunately, I seem to get those emails after I have spent hours here. Does anyone else get these types of emails?

Naturally, I have not opened any of them. Love that delete button! Thanks for your input. All Thumbs

Blog Entries
    Your bank can give some of your info (like email address) to one of it's subsidiaries... I had to opt out of this to stop it from happening.
    It is common for one company to share this info with anyone affililiated with them:
    Names
    Physical Addresses
    Phone Numbers
    Email Addresses
    and depending on who you have dealt with in the past? even more personal info than this.
    :D:D:D

I think we all get things like that ,one time or another.....I wouldn't open it.......I would SPAM it......

Okay, another dumb question. What does spamming it do -- block it from ever coming into my address? Or, does it show to them that they are blocked and they give up?

As for me giving out that e-address to a bank or someone, no I do not do that either. The only businesses I have given this to are the quilting board, the Fons&Porter people and other very reputable fabric shops. At all times, I gave written instructions that they were not allowed to share or distribute any of my information, either personal or otherwise. Very interesting how this Internet weaves its web.

I get some of those kind of emails too. It's very annoying. I just delete them and go on. There's someone that sends me at least one and sometimes more emails every day. I just keep deleting them. They've been sending them for over a year now. I can delete faster than they can send them though.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately, scam artists are always coming up with ways to get to people's information - especially email addresses. Sometimes it is from sites you get on. It could be from a friend opening up an email message and it containing instructions that will grab all their contacts in their email. Sometimes your ISP (Internet Service Provider) will sell email addresses to vendors.

I have not seen any messages like you have described since I have joined this board.

One way to protect your information is to:
    1) Get a good anti-virus protection on your computer
    2) Have it scheduled to run at least 2x per week
    3) Keep the software updated. Computer hackers find new ways to hack systems.... so it is very important to keep your anti-virus software up-to-date.

I hope this is helpful.

As for me giving out that e-address to a bank or someone, no I do not do that either. The only businesses I have given this to are the quilting board, the Fons&Porter people and other very reputable fabric shops. At all times, I gave written instructions that they were not allowed to share or distribute any of my information, either personal or otherwise. Very interesting how this Internet weaves its web.[/quote]

Even if you opt out that does not mean that they don't still do it.

There are dictionary programs that run thru every possible name or word combination for email addys.

Quote Originally Posted by All Thumbs
    Okay, another dumb question. What does spamming it do -- block it from ever coming into my address? Or, does it show to them that they are blocked and they give up?
    Not a dumb question...identifying it as spam tells your service provider to block the messages from that sender's address. Unfortunately, many places have found a way around even that so just keep hitting that "report spam" button".

Everyone gets this kind of email. You are doing the right thing. Keep on deleting them.

Some of the scam emails I have received looked very official, but no reputable business will ask you to give info like SSN, Credit Card #s, birthdays, etc. either on line or over the phone. (Unless you initiated the call without prompting from one of these scam emails.)

And all the emails from 'whoever' in 'whatever' country, who represents some foreign bank or company you never heard that ask you to help them with a business transaction, just deposit $$$$ in some account and you will see a return of 500% - scam.

Just delete.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
    Unfortunately, scam artists are always coming up with ways to get to people's information - especially email addresses. Sometimes it is from sites you get on. It could be from a friend opening up an email message and it containing instructions that will grab all their contacts in their email. Sometimes your ISP (Internet Service Provider) will sell email addresses to vendors.

I have not seen any messages like you have described since I have joined this board.

One way to protect your information is to:
    1) Get a good anti-virus protection on your computer
    2) Have it scheduled to run at least 2x per week
    3) Keep the software updated. Computer hackers find new ways to hack systems.... so it is very important to keep your anti-virus software up-to-date.

I hope this is helpful.
    Only one minor change to your advise: Anti-virus should be run at least once every day that you use the computer, and should scan every email that you get for viruses as well.

Blog Entries
    This is spam. You have made the right choice to delete.

Blog Entries
    try replying , juyst one word. make them open annoying mail they don't want

Quote Originally Posted by connie_1936

The only problem with this is that they then KNOW that they have a valid email. You are likely to get more email and from them and from other spammers.

The best thing to do is delete them and report them as spam.

Quote Originally Posted by connie_1936
    Unless you want a whole lot more spam don't do that. A reply lets them know they have a valid email and even if you don't buy anything they'll sell your email to kingdom come and back!!!

Blog Entries
    You probably don't want to change your address but there is less chance of someone randomly generating your address if you put some numbers into it.

You don't have to be a genius to come up with [email protected] (or whatever) if you are desperate enough to think that sending out a million emails will be a good way to part people from their money.

Some email companies are better than others in filtering out these unsolicited scam messaqes- I never get any on my gmail account, for example, but get them everywhere else, including at work where our security is pretty tight.

Blog Entries
    Recently read that Gmail has great spam filters.....so I'm thinking of keeping an addy there & switching if/when the Spam gets much worse.

Do you use e-mail? If you forward something to someone, and they forward it to someone...pretty soon strangers have your e-mail address. When I forward an e-mail, I always make sure I delete any names and e-mail addresses on the page. When I send a joke on to many people, I use BCC (which stands for Blind Copy Sent, I don't know where the other C came from) and their e-mail addresses do not show up to each other.

I like the spam that comes in CHinese characters!! Now how do they think I am going to read that??!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrs theo
    Do you use e-mail? If you forward something to someone, and they forward it to someone...pretty soon strangers have your e-mail address. When I forward an e-mail, I always make sure I delete any names and e-mail addresses on the page. When I send a joke on to many people, I use BCC (which stands for Blind Copy Sent, I don't know where the other C came from) and their e-mail addresses do not show up to each other.
    BCC stands for Blind Carbon Copy. CC stands for Carbon Copy.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs theo
    Thank you one and all for your advice. I have in the past applied everything you have said except the span issue. That I will start using regularly. Yes, I have a high rated firewall--got that when I got my new Windows7. And as for the above mentioning of using BCC, I put in red the first line of my BCC forwarding that people should erase, etc. etc. Yet my friends and family continue to send things with gobbs of people I do not know's email addresses. Like I said before, this Internet thing weaves a tight web. Thanks again everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv
    Everyone gets this kind of email. You are doing the right thing. Keep on deleting them.

Some of the scam emails I have received looked very official, but no reputable business will ask you to give info like SSN, Credit Card #s, birthdays, etc. either on line or over the phone. (Unless you initiated the call without prompting from one of these scam emails.)

And all the emails from 'whoever' in 'whatever' country, who represents some foreign bank or company you never heard that ask you to help them with a business transaction, just deposit $$$$ in some account and you will see a return of 500% - scam.

Just delete.
    My sister got an e mail a while back which looked very much like it came from her bank. They asked her for her SS number and some other information to "confirm her information". She contacted her bank instead and they said they NEVER ask for personal information by e mail. That said, only confirm information in person even though its sometimes a big hassle.
    Also, if you click on spam others from the same place still might go to your spam box but will disappear after 30 days on their own.