Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question to Miniature Dachshund owners >

Question to Miniature Dachshund owners

Question to Miniature Dachshund owners

Old 01-02-2019, 11:27 AM

Default Question to Miniature Dachshund owners

I see there are a number of dachshund owners online. I'm hoping someone can help me with dog food selection.

My mini-long-haired dachshund just turned 7. She is on the small side of mini. I've been feeding her Canin Dachshund food for about 6 years. Within the last year she has been gaining weight. Recently I put her on the diet food for her daily eating regime. It hasn't helped, so I started decreasing her food and feed her small amounts during the day, but she doesn't seem to be satisfied. I'm thinking there is a better solution to this dilemma.

I am looking for advice to help her slim down.

Thank you!
Old 01-02-2019, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

What does your vet advise?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:55 AM

More exercise?
Old 01-02-2019, 12:05 PM

Dachshunds are definitely prone to getting chubby especially as they get older. Being total chow hounds could have something to do with that! I used to feed my chubby dogs green beans with their food to fill them up without putting a lot of weight on them. Don't use the canned kind because they contain a lot of salt. I used to buy fresh and steam a bunch then keep in the frig till I needed them or use frozen. I'd just thaw some of the frozen ones and out and use them until they were used up. Very convenient. More exercise would definitely be good for her.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:53 PM

I second the green beans idea. I would also use them as treats. That's something I had to implement when my Dachshund was older and he would eat anything so beans were great. In the summer he liked the frozen beans. My daughter gives her Cairn Terrier frozen blueberries at lunchtime
Old 01-02-2019, 02:57 PM

Cashs_mom: Thanks so much for your advice! What brand dog food did you use?

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Dachshunds are definitely prone to getting chubby especially as they get older. Being total chow hounds could have something to do with that! I used to feed my chubby dogs green beans with their food to fill them up without putting a lot of weight on them. Don't use the canned kind because they contain a lot of salt. I used to buy fresh and steam a bunch then keep in the frig till I needed them or use frozen. I'd just thaw some of the frozen ones and out and use them until they were used up. Very convenient. More exercise would definitely be good for her.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:59 PM

IrishgalfromNJ: Thank you for your advice. Frozen beans would be great for her on a hot day. Both she and I like blueberries.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:40 AM

You could also try apples and/or carrots as treats or the supplement her dog food.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:06 AM

My vet had me put my guy on a chicken based food and he gets 1/2 C twice daily. I was worried he wasn't getting enough, but he lost weight and leveled off at a good weight and has stayed there for the last 7 years. I give him carrots for treats and he loves them.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:42 AM

we have tweener weiners...14 pounders.
One has always had to watch his weight, the other seems to self regulate just right even though his is less active

We did the Canin for a number of years 1/8 cup w/1 hard boiled egg split, canned beans or carrots morning.
1/8 cup w/nice spoon of non-fat cottage cheese, canned beans or carrots nights.

we are lucky to have the Farm Dog Bakery here, and use the small bones, or 1/2 a small bone for good behavior treats, with moderation. Wonderful place, the owner employs down syndrome young folk as staff, packaging, cutting out with cookie cutters, etc. https://www.farmdogbakery.org/

As Xaviers teeth have parted company with his mouth in place of the canin we've switched to Taste of the Wild canned food in a wide assortment of flavors. Pacific Salmon in gravy is the current can (maybe 8-10 cubits?) per meal. I can't remember without actually dishing some up There is no grain in it. We like the Blue brand also. Buy it at Tractor Supply when on sale.

Good luck working things out. My boys were puppy mill throwaways (literally, dumped up here) as adults so each day is training day still 12 years later, and in many respects they are better behaved than some of the hand raised puppy dogs we've had over the years.

but as they've aged there have been some teeth loss (we get them cleaned every year).