Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilters Beware....Smash and Dash

Just a reminder to all. Yesterday while inside our guild meeting, someone, or several people broke into six cars in the parking lot. No real rhyme or reason as to which cars. They broke out the windows, and took what they could. The alarms didnt go off as they didnt open the doors. My car was one of them. I had left my Janome in the car and was going to get it after our show and tell.
    My machine, my rulers, notions, finished blocks, everything gone. Glass all over the seat, even in the back. The guild has met there for ten years now without incident. Others had purses, totes, etc taken. Some had left their machines and purses in their cars and they were not touched. Just be careful. Hopefully by reading this it will prevent another from losing their sewing machine. On a postive note, nobody was hurt physically, which could have happenend if one of us went out there while they were there.

Blog Entries
    So Sorry to hear about this, and thanks for the warning. It is so terrible that people can be so mean.

Blog Entries
    This is happening more & more today.

I recently had my laptop stollen, had to run back into the office because I forgot something, locked the car, gone 5 minutes, car was jimmied open & laptop, briefcase, & 2 brown bags gone!

Don't leave anything in your car, even for just a moment, if in a public area. You never know who is watching.

So sorry to hear this happened.

The pisser is that the theives most likely do not know the value of the items they stole. Check pawn shops and resale stores in your area and you might be able to buy back some of your items for a fraction of what you paid for them the first time. If you filed a police report you might be able to get them back without paying. When my daughter was little I was hiding the results of my Christmas present shopping for her to that point in the trunk of my car. Theives came in the night and took it all. I have no idea what they were going to do with a Bardie laundromat and kitchen or anything else I had purchased. I was raised that if you had something, you earned it yourself.

You will have the serial number of your sewing machine on the purchase receipt or on a repair ticket.
    Give it to the police so that they can watch the pawn shops...

Remember this anywhere you are parking your car.....You really should not leave valuables in it...even in the trunk.

We had a rash of car break-ins at fitness gyms in our town because so many people leave purses and wallets in their cars.

I'm so sorry for you. It is really upsetting that there are people out there doing this sort of thing, but it sounds like it's getting worse.

Blog Entries
    Also, do like the insurance companies say...make a binder with photos of each of your machines, including all the serial numbers, all the relavent information, and $$ you paid. In case of theft or other loss you have proof of what you had, plus serial numbers to get them back if found.

So sorry to hear about this. I hope you get your items back, somehow.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope you find all of your sewing items including your machine.

that is so scary. glad you didn't go out when the theft was taking place or you might have gotten hurt.

Blog Entries
    Just do not know in today's world.

Doris.meek13088 this is off subject but really like your quilt is it a Trip around the World?

Unbelievable! Glad everyone is okay physically! Don't forget to look around the area, we had that happen at a show I was attending. The lady found her purse and a few things thrown around a liitle bit down the road.

At least hopefully the "stuff" can be replaced where you or your friends couldn't be.

Hate that this is happening more and more...awful news.

stuttered on the "submit" button...

It's still awful news

I truly hate hearing that kind of thing...just meanness! We had that happening at a 24-hr gym in our area. Hope you recover your valuables.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I'm so sorry this happened to you :(

I am so sorry to hear this ... it is sad when people are so greedy that they just take what they want from others.

Here in SA that is "old hat" --- if it has not happened to you yet, be aware ... be very aware ... most everyone here knows someone who is a number in the statistics on crime ....

Blog Entries
    I'm so sorry about the mess and your loss! This behavior is on the upswing, and it's not a pretty sight.

I've gotta share my yesterday story after reading this-- We put our bikes in the shed after using them last weekend. Yesterday my DH went out there, and came back asking "Where is your bike?" I told him it was in the shed and he said NOT! Someone had taken it. I went over to my neighbor's to see if his bike kept under a pole shed was missing, and my DH (the detective) followed the bike trail thru the grass to see where it had been taken. Fortunately, it was left under a tree on the back end of a neighbor's property, so the story has a good ending for us. But we took the warning, and will be vigilant about locking the shed, and keeping records of our equipment that we own.

Blog Entries
    I have had to quit going to my quilt guild meetings after going since in the 1980's but do to rent costs they moved to another section of town with a reputation and it is so unsafe we have to ring a doorbekk to get in and remain locked in during the meeting no way do I want to do that or leave my car this world is quickly changing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Also, do like the insurance companies say...make a binder with photos of each of your machines, including all the serial numbers, all the relavent information, and $$ you paid. In case of theft or other loss you have proof of what you had, plus serial numbers to get them back if found.
    Great reminder

So sorry! People can be so mean!

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry this happened to you and other Guild members the same thing happen at an over 50 complex on last nites news it was one 17yo and six ranging from 20-25 I never put any thing inside the car It all goes in the trunk that way I'm not leaving temptation a chance

This just makes me sick. What a pathetic world we live in now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast