Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilty Fiction

Quilty Fiction

Just discovered an author I did not know- Mary Marks.
    If you love reading about quilters, check her out.
    Dotty in NYC

Thanks for posting that.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

Yes, thanks from me, too!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Power Poster
    thanks!!!!
    QUILTNMO

I will have to check her out. Jen C leaves much to be desired for me

Someone posted awhile ago about Cobblestone Court Books being a great series. YES! I'm on my third download from the library. Wonderful books. Author is Marie Bostwick.
    Last edited by institches33; 09-01-2014 at 04:52 AM. Reason: missed info

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm off to Amazon to check out Mary Marks. Thanks for the tip. I read just about as much as I sew.

Blog Entries
    She has a Facebook Page too. A good way to keep current with her new books. She just finished book 3 of her series.

Blog Entries
    I have all Marie Boswick's books, plus she had a story in 2 other books with 3 authors in a paperback book-Marie wrote 3 books on flying with Charles Lindberg, and the first women pilots, all her books are great reading, and is a great author and friend of mine, met her several times

Blog Entries
    I love the Cobblestone Court books. Of course, you have to start with Marie Bostwick's first CC book and follow through in order, then you keep up with the "family".

If you like mysteries, check out William Kent Krueger. He writes in order also, but different stories. His books take place in Northern Minnesota. I listen to books while I sew and I just go into my own little world of needle and thread and Cork Corcoran. Being a Minnesotan, I know where these places are, been there and I love his stories. His narrator has an excellent Minnesota voice, describes the areas to a T and if you ever wonder what our summers and winters are like in Minnesota and also what the people are like, read or listen to one of his books. If you google William Kent Krueger there is a short movie about him and the area and the beauty of where his stories take place, you will not believe it. Besides which, W. K. Krueger wrote some of his stories in a little restaurant about four blocks from where I live and my husband and I used to eat there often. He has written 13 Cork O'Connor mysteries and I am on the third now,so I will have a nice winter sewing and listening, don't you think?

Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Just finished Jodi Barrows: Threads of Change and Threads of Home. Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
    Just discovered an author I did not know- Mary Marks.
    If you love reading about quilters, check her out.

Power Poster
    Quilty romance....To Scotland with Love by Patience Griffin

Sandra Dallas is another great author. she has one that tells about how the quilt went west. very interesting how the woman always made room in their wagons for their quilts. there were some that could not and had to leave them behind.
    Tara Randal is a name and series to look into. she writes the Lady in the attic.
    😊 wilburness 😊

When you want to checkout books from a series, how do you know which came first and the order of the remaining books? I sometimes end up reading a third or fourth one then realize I have missed the earlier ones.

I go to the authors website to check series order. Sometimes I goggle the series.
    (\ (\
    (>':')
    (,( )( )

Blog Entries
    Just looked on amazon UK and found this information as well as some of her book

Mary Marks grew up in Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area. She became an award winning quilter after retiring from an administrative job at UCLA. Her first quilting mystery, Forget Me Knot, was a finalist in the 2011 Malice Domestic competition.

"I always heard that the best stories come from writing what you know, so Martha Rose is loosely modeled after me: a divorced, overweight Jewish quilter of a certain age who lives in the San Fernando Valley." The smart but impulsive Martha Rose is aided and abetted by her best friends Lucy and Birdie and a cast of quirky characters.

The author is an unrepentant Hidden Object game player and Sudoku addict. "Solving puzzles, finding patterns, piecing things together--that's what quilters and mystery writers do all the time," says the author.

Learn more about the author at www.marymarksmysteries.com
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Whenever I want to know the order of books in a series, I check out http://ww2.kdl.org/libcat/whatsnext.asp

Mary