Raise your hand!

Old 08-05-2012, 06:36 PM

last month it was hot (100s) and dry, now the humidity is back and even though it is in the 80/90s, it feels hotter than the 100s we had last month. Maybe i'm a good canidate for the desert! Not!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

I hear ya! It's hot as heck here in FL!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:50 AM

We finally got a small break from the heat, but it wasn't easy achieving. Stormed last night, taking out the power for at least six hours, well after midnight . The heat and the humidity in the bedroom was horrible. Could have literally wrung the dampness out of the bedsheets. No ceiling fan, or AC and no breeze coming in the windows and I was having the queen mother of all hot flashes. Thought I would self combust laying there and not cooler anywhere else in the pitch dark house. My dog Stitches, who will be 18 in October was a real trooper about it all, poor little guy. Today the humidity seems to be gone and may not quite reach 80. Huge improvement over yesterday's 96 and horray for the much-needed rain.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 AM

Yay! It's been cooler here! We actually slept with the windows open 2 nights in a row & I didn't have to have the AC on at all yesterday! It's supposed to be warmer today (& humid... I don't care what anybody says... dry heat beats moist heat any ol' day!) so I'll have to shut the house up again but it sure was bliss to be able to breathe "real" air for a little while!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:31 AM

I am in the NW in Washington. This weekend we had 90% plus with humidity. I don't complain though as it is usually only a few days at a time this happens. This is the first episode this year. With the awful weather in the rest of the country I do not complain about our rain.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Well, I'm sitting on MY hands.
I do not do well in the colder, shorter months. To me cold hurts, heat is (just) uncomfortable. But I live where I can pretty much run around in a tank top and panties all day long inside and keep the AC set at 78.

Leave me the heat and sun any day over cold, less sun, and dampness!!

Jan in VA
FINALLY, someone I agree with. Cold weather brings on more pain. We may not get that much snow here and when we do its normally gone the next day but the cold weather is what really makes my back disease act up and that causes pain from my back down to my knees. I don't have to slip on anything; it's part of my daily life and the cold just brings it on harder. Growing up I used to think people exagerated when they said the cold weather made them ache; I guess God needed me to understand so I have a back disease that shows no exageration needed. I have to deal with some pain in the summer but it isn't made worse by the heat. I work in a cold enviroment that normally requires me to wear a jacket at all times and then I have an AC at home. I can keep the AC set up at 78 and it'll still kick on but it takes the humidy out of the air and that's the worst part. For me the worst part is finding a time to cut my lawn and paying the higher electric bill. I have crappy heat in my house so in the winter I can't get warm at work or at home so it's worse. I do wish it'd cool down a little but I'll never wish for the "cold" winter weather to come around. I miss the weather in Hawaii.

One nice thing this year is even though we've had a really hot summer; we've also had a lot of rain. My grass is really green, tall but still it's green and that beats brown of any height.

Last edited by romanojg; 08-06-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
FINALLY, someone I agree with. Cold weather brings on more pain. We may not get that much snow here and when we do its normally gone the next day but the cold weather is what really makes my back disease act up and that causes pain from my back down to my knees. I don't have to slip on anything; it's part of my daily life and the cold just brings it on harder. Growing up I used to think people exagerated when they said the cold weather made them ache; I guess God needed me to understand so I have a back disease that shows no exageration needed. I have to deal with some pain in the summer but it isn't made worse by the heat. I work in a cold enviroment that normally requires me to wear a jacket at all times and then I have an AC at home. I can keep the AC set up at 78 and it'll still kick on but it takes the humidy out of the air and that's the worst part. For me the worst part is finding a time to cut my lawn and paying the higher electric bill. I have crappy heat in my house so in the winter I can't get warm at work or at home so it's worse. I do wish it'd cool down a little but I'll never wish for the "cold" winter weather to come around. I miss the weather in Hawaii.

One nice thing this year is even though we've had a really hot summer; we've also had a lot of rain. My grass is really green, tall but still it's green and that beats brown of any height.
I have degenerative bone disease in my knee & back & I agree about the cold hurting, tho I find it's damp cold that hurts the very most. My orthopedic surgeon said that while they'd never been able to "prove" the connection between cold & pain, he knows what the outside temp is by how often his phone rings & that's all the "proof" he needs. I spend lots of time with the hot pad on my various parts (yes, all year 'round).
Old 08-08-2012, 12:11 PM

Well, it's going to be 112 here today. Granted no humidity, but we will be getting monsoons soon and it will be very humid. It only gets down to 80 degrees at night. Thank goodness for swamp coolers (until, of course, we get the monsoons). Even though it is 81 in my house when I get home from work at night with the cooler running on high all day. Luckily I have dual cooling (swamp and refrigeration), but the electric bill keeps me from running the AC for more than a couple hours at night to cool it down enough to fall asleep. We won't see cool weather until well into October. The joke here is "don't go away for a long weekend or you will miss Spring and Fall".
Old 08-09-2012, 01:49 AM

We got our electric bill today... $180! That may not seem high to some of you but considering it's usually about $100, it was something of a... surprise... OK... a shock. There goes my fabric buying this week!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
We got our electric bill today... $180! That may not seem high to some of you but considering it's usually about $100, it was something of a... surprise... OK... a shock. There goes my fabric buying this week!
Does your electric co. have a budget plan. I'm on that--same amount all year. It is adjusted annually. Same for gas bill. Makes it much easier to plan my monthly budget.