Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Re-painting Featherweight machine >

Re-painting Featherweight machine

Re-painting Featherweight machine

Old 09-30-2020, 06:12 AM

Default Re-painting Featherweight machine

My son is custom auto painter & often has his cars featured in magazines. My question concerns the cost for painting sewing machines. He just did a featherweight in turquoise. It is beautiful! I asked what he was charging...he said it was his first and was for a friend...that he would have no idea what he should charge for a job like this. But said he really enjoyed the process and perhaps should add to his 'repertoire'! I was wondering if I could ask here what the rates are. I realize it matters where you live, and can vary from state to state. BTW! His customer supplied the decals. .TIA
Old 09-30-2020, 08:36 AM

The rates would vary quite a bit on how the machine was prepared. Is it bare of all the innards and shiny bits? Will he have to take it apart. VSMs have so many tiny curves I would imagine it would be an amazing pain. He knows what her charges by the hour for a car. How many hours did he spend on the FW?

Old 09-30-2020, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

Why wouldn't he charge the same rate to do the Featherweight
as he would for doing a car?
Old 10-01-2020, 06:55 AM

Whole lot less paint cost for a FW than a car..
Old 10-03-2020, 02:17 PM

I just googled and found these guys. http://www.featherweightsincolor.com/faq.html

I love the painted featherweights. I’ve seen some great colors.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:10 AM

Thx one tomato plant! I forwarded the page to son, but I doubt he will pursue this new venture...says he is too busy w/cars. He works far too many hours now. His long time friend got a beautiful bargain in her turquoise gift. I'd like to talk him into doing my FW in sparkly red! But I won't .
Old 10-04-2020, 02:52 PM

I have been thinking about this post ever since I saw it a day or so ago. I would never thought of doing a conversion like this. I would love to here more on this if they figure out what cost would be evolved. I am thinking about painting one of my machines. Would love to know if they start this as a sub division of the auto painting.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Mermaid, how about having your son paint your machine as a Christmas gift? Just a thought.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:08 PM

He could paint me one for Christmas too!!😉😉😉
Old 10-14-2020, 12:06 PM

I think one of the things he would have to considert the time for disassembly, re-assembly and servicing the machine after it is re-assembled. This can consume quite a bit of time and has to be done correctly. Also, the application of the decals and price of the decals has to be considered as well as the cost of other materials. Not unlike a car, the machine will have to be disassembled, the surface prepped and then reassembled and customers will expect and good paint job and a good running machine when it comes back to them. A lot will depend on your location and what they market will bear.