Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Read any good books lately?

I looked in my library records and found the authors whose books I have read lots of and here is my list. They are all mysteries.
    Dana Stabenow writes about Alaska, her protagonist is female but her books would appeal to both sexes
    Jo Nesbo is writing about his very flawed detective Harry Hole. Swedish or Nordic setting. His books are sometimes gory
    Hakan Nesser also has a very flawed detective named Van Veeteren whom you will learn to love.
    Henning Mankell has the Inspector Wallender who also is featured on PBS Mystery Theater
    Deborah Crombie older books but very good.
    Steig Larsson Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and two more must reads. My DH could not get through the Swedish names but that is too bad because the books are great. Might get audio books if this is a problem with the Swedish/Norwegian books
    Nevada Barr writes great books
    Alan Folsom has 3 great books and they are page turners
    Lee Child has the "Reacher" series which is riveting and they too are page turners
    Sarah Andrews writes books loosely archeology based
    My favorite detective is Inspector Lynley by Elizabeth George.

Happy reading!

Read the wonderful new book by Kergen titled "Ordinary Grace". It was beautifully written and the characters were so well portrayed you felt you knew them, everyone. I loaned it to a friend who felt the same and her book club is reading for their December book.

Hope you will enjoy it too.

If you like Tony Hillerman, Tricia Fields won the Hillerman award for Best First Mystery in 2010 with "The Territory". Her novels are set on the Texas, Mexican border and has a female Chief of Police. She has since released "Scratchgravel Road", and "Wrecked". I really liked all three of them, and there is another one due out in the spring!
    Phyllis
    Phyllis Driggs

It's an older book but "The Lion's Game" is a great book by Nelson Demille. I recommend it to anyone who asks for a recommendation and so far everyone who has read it loved it!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

I've read all Nelson DeMille's books. Also all John Grisham, and Vince Flynn. Edge of your seat fiction. Oh, and all the "Prey" titles by John Sandford. He writes murder mysteries. These are my fave authors & I'm waiting for a new one. Don't get into the romance thingy.

DJ
    I forgot about Unbroken and The Boys in the Boat. both would be great selections.

I read a lot and enjoy historical fiction. Educational and entertaining. Edward Rutherford is my favorite writer now.
    London,The Forest,Ruska,Saram,New York, Paris.

HOME by Julie Andrews is rhe fascinating story about her early years.
    I am now reading THE MAN WHO MOVED A MOUNTAIN by Richard Davids. It is an attention-holding true story about isolated mountain communities and how Robert Childress, who grew up in the area became a presbyterian minister and established schools and jobs to replace moonshining.
    I also love ajoy Fielding's mysteries--always a surprise ending!
    Bebe McGee

A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg. I had borrowed from the library and loved, loved it. I told someone at work about it and that I was going to buy it. Guess what I found in my work mailbox? I lent it to another friend and she loved it so much. She had her husband read it and he couldn't put it down. I have it set out to read again. It is such a delightful story.

thanks

thanks so much for all the suggestions. I am going to a used book site and order a bunch. I will end up reading them also. by the way. we both grew up in Minnesota .did not know about the Krueger books. Thanks everyone. Thanks for the ideas. Wide variety
    Thanks He will be so happy
    Judy
    Last edited by hummerthecat; 12-08-2014 at 08:59 AM. Reason: add more

Have read all for bill o'reilly's..excellent reading educational. I like history so these were appealing to me
    Quiltlady

I know you are probably overwhelmed with suggestions, but here are a couple more anyway. The Day Before Midnight by Stephen Hunter (suspense), and any David Baldacci novel. Happy Reading!!!!

Blog Entries
    Didn't she just die? I think I just read that. ( JA Jance)

Quote Originally Posted by patinvt View Post
    I love her books.

Unbroken... awesome read, I am reading it now and highly reccomend

Well it looks like someone already recommended Boys in the Boat - that is a definite if he hasn't already read it. I don't normally go for non-fiction but it was absolutely wonderful and my husband loved it also.

What about biographies of his favorite people? How about the "classics"? Another thought - travelogues ("A Walk Across America" - old title, but excellent comes to mind)? Anything by Bill Bryson (humor). Old time mysteries - Dashiell Hammett ("The Maltese Falcon"), Rex Stout (Nero Wolfe series), Agatha Christie...so many others. "Seabiscut" or other sports titles? I agree, "Unbroken" was an excellent book.

What is your DH's favorite genre? If you can, go to your local library and browse the shelves to get more ideas. God luck!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    baldaci, jonathan or faith kellerman (very different from each other, both excellent) for something different there are some 12th century mysteries, author is an A name, alexander, l think. carl hiaason, humor in a mystery. also,dana stabenow? an alaskan mystery series.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Both my DH and I read a lot, some of our favorites are Lillian Jackson Braun (these are snack books for us, listen to them on trip great way to pass the time), Clive Clussler ( Most of his have some kind of history and are ocean related), any thing by Frank Herbert. Isaac Asimov's Foundation series is good, David Baldacci's Camel Club series and other ones from him are good. DH likes Dean Koontz, and Michael Crichton, I like Joanne Fluke she writes about a cookie shop in a small town in MN. Great cookie recipes in the books.

Alex Mcnight series by Steve hamilton.
    (\ (\
    (>':')
    (,( )( )

Blog Entries
    James Patterson has new books out. Barnes and Noble has the latest on sale. He's always good and so is John Grisham (not sure if pelled right) but I've loved every book I've read and my son likes these two as well. I just ordered the latest of Mary Higgen's Clark books. One she co-authored with someone other than her daughter. But cosidering she's in her 80's I think the fact she's still writing is great.

One additional note, go to a site like Barnes and Noble and when you see a book you might like you can ususally get a sample ebook to see if you might like it.
    Judy

Historical, biography, and historical fiction are my favorites. But anything about days of yore intrigues me. The most captivating book I've read is the true story. "Crossing the Borders of Time: A True Story of War, Exile, and Love Reclaimed" by Leslie Maitland. What a wonderful, wonderful book.

Also, "Jackie Without Jack" by Christopher Andersen. At my age the Kennedy façade still intrigues me.

I found them both through my local library--electronically. And they are fairly recent books. I love that I can borrow library books on my tablet for free!

I'm a big sci-fi and fantasy geek, so if you need any book recommendations in THOSE genres just let me know. I read an average of 2-3 books per week and when I'm on vacation can easily burn through a book a day...it's an addiction!

Authors I think are fantastic, I'll limit myself to just one in each genre or I'd have a huge list here! Anything by either of these guys is totally worth reading:

1. Brandon Sanderson for Fantasy and Fiction - best new author I've read in YEARS, and now he's branching out into youth fiction. His "Mistborn" trilogy has some really cool ideas in it and some unique "magic".

2. Ben Bova - a genius for hard science fiction; he used to work for NASA so he really knows the science and he's a skilled author so he makes it feel very real; he has dozens of books under his belt and I think I've read all of them. He's still writing more, too. I can't even recommend one in particular, they're all really really good and most of them tie together in some way or another.

Ok, I lied...one more. Larry Niven is also a giant for sci fi. Another author who I read (and re-read) every book he's ever written. Although, avoid the sequels to Ringworld. Ringworld itself is a classic and is fantastic...the sequels are dull and unimaginative. Not worth your time.

Right now I'm reading London: The novel by Edward Rutherfurd. Start with Sarum: The novel of England. Great historical fiction. I like this author just as much if not better then Ken Follett who is wonderful. Also I bought Rush Limbaugh's history book series and they are great. My 12 year old grandson loved them. His history teacher was very impressed with what he knew that wasn't in the class text book. She said he knew as much as she did from college history. I remember a quote I heard when I was really young and it stuck with me. A person who can read and does not should be pitied more then the person who cannot read. I didn't want to be pitied so I started reading. LOL. Funny how young brains thinks.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

SHACK it`s so good that my daughter bought it 5 times, loans it out and they never send it back! She picked me one up at a rummage sale and said she hoped her own mother would give it back to her. I haven`t had time to read it, but will after Christmas!

I ditto DJ. The Ken Foulet Century series is excellent....I listen to them on audio books while I sew.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2