Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Renaissance Tunics  Help Please >

Renaissance Tunics Help Please

Renaissance Tunics Help Please

Old 06-26-2019, 07:38 AM

At least they aren't asking you to make them out of chain maille.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]614236[/ATTACH]

But seriously... if they want 70 in a month (absurd) It is time for the men to learn to use power tools with needles.

I've done enough demos with Handcranks to know that most can learn. You just need someone around for the ooops moments.

Halloween stores have cheap tunics. Might last a day.
Attached Thumbnails cm-iris-iron-maille-b.jpg  
Old 06-26-2019, 09:14 AM

Having sewn various items for a booth at our Renaissance Faire, I can tell you my biggest problem has been trying to decide what sizes to make. Usually, the smaller sizes don't do as well as the XL. Go figure. If your friend can give you a ballpark figure as to how many of each size you might need, that would help out.

That being said, the closer you can get to "one size fits most", the easier for you.

The Wikihow link that osewme posted is a pretty basic pattern for a tunic, but once again you are relying on a T-shirt size to get you started. Also the neckline on a T has stretch and depending on the material you are using, you may find the neckline is not big enough for most guys heads. Making a slit in the back about 4 to 5 inches helps, but cutting larger is better. Of course, finishing off the opening is more time involved on your part. Short sleeves or long sleeves, seamstress choice, depends on the width of fabric you have to work with.

Tabards are some what easier as there are no sleeves and no side seams. They are worn over other clothing and are fastened loosely with a separate belt, not part of the tabard. They can be cut with the fold at the shoulder eliminating a seam, or cut in 2 pieces and stitched at the shoulder. Again, seamstress choice because of fabric size. I did a search "how to make a tabard pattern" and got lots of hits. The PDF from amtgard is a good one, but it's pretty wordy because they are assuming you don't know how to sew.

When cutting, don't worry about being too accurate. Stack as many as you can safely cut, use a new blade in your rotary cutter and go for it.

As far as I'm concerned, all of the above is the hardest part!

If you have a serger, use it. Saves lots of time. I serge the edges and then just fold that over and straight stitch it down. You can finger press to save time. Both sides, hem and neckline, too if it is cut large enough. No facing for the neckline then. Remember this is a costume, you are not really sewing for the king.

Hope this helps you somewhat. Wish I was in the neighborhood, I'd be glad to help you out!
Old 06-26-2019, 09:16 AM

Forgot to add, post a picture when you can. Would love to see your finished project.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Yikes! Maybe you can tell your friend that one top was doable - not 70.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I just got a call from a local men's group that will be needing 70 Men's tunic for the Renaissance Festival in Holly MI. They need a plain muslin (heavier muslin) tunic in various sizes. The kicker is they need them in 1 month. Any idea on how I can help this group of men out. Heck if it were only a few I could whip them up likity-split! I wouldn't even know where to start to find them pre-made on such short notice. I figure this group of quilters might be able to help me find my way through this project. The other part of the project I can handle and that is to make a 4-patch patch for each of them. That will be a simple enough project to make. Your ideas will help me out a great deal.
I am sorry this is just wrong. Guys can sew too.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:34 AM

I think that is unfair of them to ask for these tops in a month and that many too!!! Can you recruit some volunteers from a quilt guild or some of the men's wives? Someone can at least cut out the tops and maybe just get an assembly line of sewers and get them done.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

Or, to quote Nancy Reagan, "just say no."
Old 06-27-2019, 04:10 AM

Here are two pics of the bolt that I have left over from the rag rug business.[ATTACH=CONFIG]614271[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]614273[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20190627_073314_resized.jpg   20190627_073100_resized.jpg  
Old 06-27-2019, 04:20 AM

I tweaked a few of the replies here and got back with him last night. Putting the men to work to do both the cutting and sewing. Why shouldn't they? He can probably get about 8 men together over 2 days. He had no concept of the cost of fabric, thread and most importantly scissors! I told him I don't know many quilters that would turn over their scissors to any one. He was serious when he ask me this. "how many of the people on your quilting group do you think would be willing to help?" That is when I turned it back to their membership. He will get back to me.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:52 AM

Good for you!!!