Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Retreats and a Snoring Roommate or Bedmate >

Retreats and a Snoring Roommate or Bedmate

Retreats and a Snoring Roommate or Bedmate

Old 12-10-2017, 06:28 AM

I'm with the private room folks. I need a little space to myself at the end of the day and definitely first thing in the morning.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:46 AM

We had 5 in our room and one was crabby. No more retreats for me!
Old 12-10-2017, 07:33 AM

Red face

I would be the one offering to share a room with a snorer. DH snores and I am used to it, so it would not bother me. We took him for a sleep study and he is not in any danger from apnea, so snore on DH. (When you find a good man, it is amazing what you can adjust to. Lol). As long as he brings me coffee with honey in the morning, he can snore till the cows come home. ❤️
Old 12-10-2017, 07:56 AM

I don't go to quilting retreats, but I do go to dog shows. I prefer to have my own room for the sake of privacy, but when a friend asks to share a room I can't say no. The only problem I have with that is that we don't get much sleep, we talk all night! One 5 day dog show (4 nights), my friend and I calculated that we got a total of 16 hours of sleep.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:58 AM

​My DH is a SNORER!!! He had knee surgery yrs. ago, and I told him I didn't think I'd sleep well without his snoring. Went home, and our Chow Chow ( who had never snored) snored for me the whole night. Either the snoring or have to have the t v on low. Private room for me.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:16 AM

I too snore when I'm super super tired. Of course, I've been told. I don't hear myself. lol My DH snores a lot. Sometimes very very loudly. I would just put it out there. Maybe someone else won't mind. I just use ear plugs when DH gets too loud. It dulls the sound enough that I finally drift off. It just took a bit till I found some that fit as I have small ear canals. You never know, another room'ie might not really care. Or of course, just keep getting your own room.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

The first time i went to something like that, as an adult, it was SRD (State Recognition Days) with my TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) chapter. We went four people to a room, two people to a bed.

I did enjoy the goofing around and snacking while in the room - but - along with snoring - it takes me a long time to get "situated comfortably" once I do go to bed. Sharing a room is tolerable - but I definitely prefer to have my own bed. (Poor DH - sometimes I feel so sorry for him with me flopping around like a freshly caught fish in the bottom of a boat.)

After being married 57 years, we usually don't take it (too) personally if/when one of us gets up and goes to the couch.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

So - if most of the people want to go four to a room - how does one gracefully say "I want my own room - all to myself." ???

It was sort of interesting to see how people travel - some people manage with a small suitcase - some brought three or four largish suitcases - and they weren't even doing anything special at the event.

Also, sharing a bathroom and a vanity with three other people - that was also sort or interesting/entertaining/aggravating - depending on my mood and how long they were taking - and how urgently I needed to use the bathroom.

It does work better when the toilet/shower/tub is separated from the vanity/sink/mirror.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:34 AM

My mom goes on painting retreats. She always brings earplugs because she shares with a couple gals with cpap machines. I do think you are being kind and considerate paying for a private room!
Old 12-10-2017, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Me, too, SusieQ. I once slept through a whole brick house explosion only about three blocks away. It was the middle of the night, a gas leak (family was away on vacation), bricks flew everywhere with only a hole left in the ground. People came from miles away with their housecoats and fuzzy slippers on to see what that noise was, including my entire family. That was about 50 years ago and to this day I know of no one else who slept through that explosion.
Holy smokes! This is a crazy story!