Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reunion Auction dilemma

Ok guys need some input. Our family Reunion has a live auction and they ask for donations. One year I made a set of greeting cards 12 all occasion cards envelopes, pen and candle in a pretty basket tied with ribbon, it sold for...............$3.00
    Last year I made a Pillow and hand quilted it, they ................put it on the free choose a gift table. What would you do? I said never again BUT these are a bunch that will remind me that I "Forgot" I would like to forget to go but hubby likes it and has a much better time than I do. I have a week and a half!!

Blog Entries
    I would probably just donate a white elephant. A good way to get rid of something and keep them off your case.

This sounds like the perfect time to "regift" something you have and don't particularly want!

Pick up something from Target? UglyCook has a great idea!

I know what I would do. Make the donation for the auction and buy it back and give it away as a gift. It really is a win, win situation. I have a friend that does that for a local club. She wins the auctions on her items and they still get some money.

re-gift, yard sale find, something from Big Lots? ? ? :?

JJs
    Banned
    We don't 'do' that family reunion auction thing anymore - once was enough...
    my contribution was machine embroidered dish towels and DH did some fancy scroll work to make a small shelf - we aren't talking garbage, done careless, or ugly but something made out of used babyfood jars brought in more....

just take a hotpad or something, or a pincushion like that one in the flower pot...

The more I think about it I may just go with the I forgot or Just not enough time to make something. Or Are you kidding after the last things I donated! LOL The invite came today, I knew about it for a year tho. These are people who will bid $15.00 for a jar of homemade pickles!!

Go to Wally World and p/u a candle. :lol: :lol:

LOL, go buy a jar of pickles, take the label off and put a piece of fabric on the lid, tie a ribbon around it and get $15.00 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by thequilterslink
    LOL, go buy a jar of pickles, take the label off and put a piece of fabric on the lid, tie a ribbon around it and get $15.00 for it.
    LOL

give something from your house you don't want or don't like.

Garage Sale something...I wouldn't let it bother me...and you can have a nice chuckle when it is auctioned.

Power Poster
    bring something you want to keep - if it goes for a lot - yippee - if it stays low priced - bring it home again

Quote Originally Posted by thequilterslink
    I really like that idea!
    I bet you could find something like that.
    Maybe a cheap jar of jelly might work too!

Go to the dollr store and get a bottle of bubble bath, and put a fancy ribbon around it...LOL, it will look cute!

Blog Entries
    Buy a couple of coffee mugs each, fill ziplock baggys with these ingredients along with the directions to bake them :D:D:D

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-19766-1.htm

I agree to 'regift' or pull something that you don't want from your stash. I did some kitchen towels for a friend for her 'donation' one year. I cut them in 1/2 and crochet tops on them to hang on handles in the kitchen. Real 'cheap' and useful too! Good luck on your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyCook
    This sounds like the perfect time to "regift" something you have and don't particularly want!
    good idea, Im with you!

There are a lot of people who just don't understand or even appreciate hand made gifts. This is the group to just take home-made pickles, relish, or baking. Make your fabulous cake, butter tarts or squares and it's sure to sell and you won't feel badly about a low price. The only stitched items that I've ever had sell well at a silent auction were Hallowe'en costumes. I used some of my loudest ugliest fabric and made clown costumes and they were the hit of the auction. Don't feel badly about this group, just bake and take and enjoy the day.

I made two pillows out of cheap pillow panels from walmart and they went for a high price, people where asking me to make more but i said didnt have any more fabric, LOL

I got it!! I have an inflatable CARS's chair that was given to me for a grandchild but I thought he would just pop it I will take that!

It sounds like your family is a lot like mine. Just regift something you forgot to return or a yard sale item you pick up on the way. I know its wrong to feel that way. But don't let it bug you. Been there and done that. Its okay, just sit back and smile when they start bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyCook
    Ditto, my thoughts exactly!

Blog Entries
    I agree that it's regift time, clearance sale time, resale shop time.

I wouldn't make anything more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast