Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rib Knit Fabric for collars for Bereavement Gowns

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    Please understand, I am not an artist, but here is a drawing of what I am talking about. If this still isn't clear, I will make one and show you actual pictures of the steps. They do work up quite nice. You could just make them all white and add different ribbon colors for boy or girl. I watch Walmart for rolls of ribbon on sale cheap for such things. Usually I find rolls for around a dollar.
    thanks. That's basically what the pattern I'm using looks like. It has short sleeves though. I understand the neck now. It's like making a casing and putting the skinny ribbon through it. I'll give that a try on the next one.
    You've been very helpful. So many nice ladies on here. I can always count on someone having the answer. I'll try to post a picture of the one I finished.
    While we're on the subject, have you ever made a cloth envelope? The hospital uses them for the paperwork, etc. for the parents.

They are made for parent of stillborn or deceased babies to wear.
    They are also used for babies that are going to pass. They like to dress the baby in something that looks like 'real' baby clothes, so that the families of the babies can cuddle with their child wearing something that looks like regular clothes. (Gosh, that was hard to write.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sval View Post
    thanks. That's basically what the pattern I'm using looks like. It has short sleeves though. I understand the neck now. It's like making a casing and putting the skinny ribbon through it. I'll give that a try on the next one.
    You've been very helpful. So many nice ladies on here. I can always count on someone having the answer. I'll try to post a picture of the one I finished.
    While we're on the subject, have you ever made a cloth envelope? The hospital uses them for the paperwork, etc. for the parents.
    You could use one of the online tutorials for an iPad cover, and just use the dimensions that the hospital has requested, to make the fabric envelopes. Youtube has several videos for making the iPad covers if you want instructions you can watch as you make them. (BTW- you can put the ribbons in a casing, or as we did, we used the ribbon to stitch back and forth through the fabric about 1/3 inch below the stitching for the hems. I am willing to make one today for a friend's DD to use with her doll, so you can see it. Stay tuned and I will post pictures some time this evening. Peace
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I have never heard of a bereavement gown. Where would it be worn and who would wear it?
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

What the heck is a bereavement gown?

Blog Entries

Please understand, I am not an artist, but here is a drawing of what I am talking about. If this still isn't clear, I will make one and show you actual pictures of the steps. They do work up quite nice. You could just make them all white and add different ribbon colors for boy or girl. I watch Walmart for rolls of ribbon on sale cheap for such things. Usually I find rolls for around a dollar.

Here are the examples I promised. Instead of making a whole gown, I would just show a large picture of the ribbon technique itself.
    The front view shows how you would start from the back and go around the neck or wrist, or you could put a snap or Velcro on the back, and put the ribbon ends on the front to tie. (Cut ribbon ends at an angle to avoid fraying.)

The second picture is closer for those with sight issues, and the third shows how it looks on the back, and the fourth is how it will look gathered. This method is good for doll clothes or single use garments like the gowns, Halloween costumes,(think clown collar, cape collar,etc.) my example was made using 1/4 inch ribbon so you can see it, but will look and work better with 1/8 spaghetti ribbon.

the he last photo is using the crewel needle as a bodkin to insert the ribbon in the top as a casing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by madamekelly; 07-26-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Here are the examples I promised. Instead of making a whole gown, I would just show a large picture of the ribbon technique itself.
    The front view shows how you would start from the back and go around the neck or wrist, or you could put a snap or Velcro on the back, and put the ribbon ends on the front to tie. (Cut ribbon ends at an angle to avoid fraying.)

The second picture is closer for those with sight issues, and the third shows how it looks on the back, and the fourth is how it will look gathered. This method is good for doll clothes or single use garments like the gowns, Halloween costumes,(think clown collar, cape collar,etc.) my example was made using 1/4 inch ribbon so you can see it, but will look and work better with 1/8 spaghetti ribbon.

the he last photo is using the crewel needle as a bodkin to insert the ribbon in the top as a casing.
    Thanks again. That helps alot. How do you upload the pics? I've tried several time and QB keeps telling me my up load failed. I like the casing idea. It looks nice. But this pattern doesn't seem to have any extra fabric. It appears very fitted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2