Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rice Bags

I just got home from visiting at my favorite nursing home. While there a friend who knows I piddle in the sewing theme asked me if could make some rice bags. I just stood there with a blank. She showed me a nice little hand made flannel bag with rice inside. She says they heat it in the microwave and wrap it in toweling and put in whereever the complaint......they are so neat. My sore neck is getting one in just a few minutes. Have y'all heard of them? they would be neat with an extra slip of fabric for the hands to slip into. I'm excited and these would be nice for nursing home gifts. Just wanted to talk about it. I'm a happy fabric person.

Blessings,
    Ruth

wouldn't be without one

I heat one up every night...

Love mine, not a pretty one but have had 12 yrs.

I made a bunch of these several years ago and, to be honest, everyone hated them. The heated rice stinks! I bought one while in Gatlinburg this summer and it is made with cherry pits. It is not stinky at all. I am thinking I will make some with that instead. If anyone has any idea on how to keep the rice from stinking, please share!

I have one made with flaxseed. still stinks, but different.there is some advantage to them, but can't recall what it is. make a slipcover for them. easy to wash.
    if you have an arthritic cat or dog, they love a rice bag in their sleeping quarters. warm up your tootsie toesy area of the bed before climbing in. had not thought of an extra layer to slip your hands into--great idea !
    Merry Christmas to everyone !!!!

I use one a wrist rest at my computer. If my wrist starts to ache I just heat the bag up.

Well it is the most interesting thing I've run across lately. How about buck wheat shells, I have a pillow mom bought me years ago with them and I don't find a good use and was going to make draft stoppers with them?? Anyone know what heating up the buckwheat shells will do?

You should try heating the buckwheat shells and let us know if it works ok. I still use my rice bag...I just ignore the odor. But, I know that nobody else uses theirs.

Banned
    I read somewhere...and it may have even been on here, that feed corn is the best to use in them...it stays warm alot longer...and no one minds the smell of popcorn:)

Yes, someone was telling me they get clean deer feed corn

There's been at least 1 tutorial on these bags and some people have used various stuff instead of rice, corn, walnut hulls, etc. Try searching the board for them.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morelcabin
    I read somewhere...and it may have even been on here, that feed corn is the best to use in them...it stays warm alot longer...and no one minds the smell of popcorn:)
    These get bugs...trust me !!!

I have been making rice bags for over 15 years. We call them 'WARMIES'. Everyone has their own, all are different sizes. Daughter likes hers to be about 18-20 in' long, the size around is about the size of child's arm. I sew seams across the width to keep rice from shifting. My mother had one that she could slip her hands into.
    Heat for 2 min. Heating to long will cause the smell to be stronger.

Be sure to keep the "warmie" dry.

I put a handful of lavender in and it doesn't stink like the rice.

Blog Entries
    I have them in all kinds of sizes from tubes to go around my neck to a very large one that goes from my waist to my knees. I love the warm moist heat from the rice :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I just sent some of these bags to my daughter in China. She will need to put rice in them and stitch them up. But here in Australia we use wheat in the bags, and call them Wheat Bags. She couldn't take the ones with wheat into China, so she had to leave them all home... for me:)

bj
    I made one a while back for my DH to use when he has a migraine. He likes it and I think the rice just smells toasty.

the rice smell reminds me of Cream of Wheat

I even made one for my little dog Piddles when she was having back problems she loved it.
    Now she is in doggie heaven no more pain.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if coffee beans might work? Smell the coffee? Oh well...

The first ones I made were with oats rice and pickling salt that was about 15 years ago now I make them with rice and pickling salt I don't notice any smell and I have made about 50 bags this way with no odor complaints. We have dry cold winters and usually only a few really humid days in the summer maybe the weather effects the odor?

I put a rice bag all heated up on my elderly mother's feet every night when I tuck her in. Instead of just a "bag", I sewed in some baffles to keep the rice all even instead of slipping to one end.

Blog Entries
    i make mine in muslin (pouches) then place the muslin filled with rice inside a removable flannel cover. we have been making/using them for 5 or 6 years now. i keep one in a zip-lock in the freezer for an instant cold pack when ice is needed and one on top of the microwave for heating. my granddaughter's each have one with a picture of themselves each with their daddy...so when he is (deployed) and they are missing him they can warm up their snuggle-bag and have a nice warm daddy hug!
    ALWAYS USE COTTON FABRIC...POLY WILL MELT/CATCH FIRE IF OVER HEATED! always include a tag saying to heat for 1 minute...don't want anyone getting burned.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast