Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saw this and thought of you guys!

Blog Entries

Saw this and thought of you guys!

I have seen so many negative things about the Red Cross here, and I could never understand it.

People were always going on about charging for coffee....

Love NPR- saw this story. Thought of you guys!
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/...paign=20120716
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

I would not give the Red Cross one penny! Twice I contacted them regarding house fires. Once in WV, Trailer fire near Christmastime in Mid 60's.. Was recovering from a bad automobile wreck. car skidded on ice and ended up way down the Mountain. Don't know how I ever got out of it....A wreck and a fire within 3 weeks of each other, Oh, was let go from my job too at the local radio station because of the wreck. No help from RC.... Again, in Florida a house fire, I was offered a Motel room for FOUR hours!! And would have had to walk miles to get there.. No thanks Red Cross!! Nothing from this person. In both incidents, I needed just a little help. I managed, and with the help of a favorite Uncle..got OUT of WV... I thought God was giving me a Message! I was a single (divorced) young Mother with two small children, (6 and 3).. Was stronger than even I thought. No car, no home, no job, no help. Went to Nashville, worked two jobs. We can manage, can't we.

quite an interesting article. The comments are a good read as well. Thanks.

OMG janegb....yes you are a very strong women..it is said that we are never given more than we can handle..you were tested and you passed....good for you. Everyone of us have the strength to survive when we need to too.

I fill blessed, I have never had a need for the RC or any other company and I truly hope that I don't every need them.

Wow..I have never heard this story about the RC...interesting.
    Last edited by pamesue; 07-17-2012 at 03:38 AM.
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

yes quite interesting story. yes we can manage. we have to. thanks for sharing

They charge firefighters also.
    I only give to the Salvation Army and the Saint Judes Childrens Hospital.

Blog Entries
    My dad is a WW2 veteran and hates the Red Cross. It was many years ago but when he talks about them the veins in his head almost pop out.

While reading the comments, I do remember some talk about missing 9/11 funds and other issues around that time. I never give to the Red Cross.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    2 years ago when our house burnt...the RC was there before the fire trucks even left...they gave hubby and I both a debit card for $100 each...and gave us 3 nights at the local hotel....AND they gave us a voucher for a free refridgerator when we were ready for it...(kitchen fire)...so I can not say enough good things about our local RC !!!! They helped us when we needed it the most !!!!

Very interesting! Thanks! Everybody has different experiences.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    My co-workers house burned to the ground. They had 2 small children. The RC put them up in a motel.....then they sent them a bill for the motel charges!

Quote Originally Posted by Suebear View Post
    2 years ago when our house burnt...the RC was there before the fire trucks even left...they gave hubby and I both a debit card for $100 each...and gave us 3 nights at the local hotel....AND they gave us a voucher for a free refridgerator when we were ready for it...(kitchen fire)...so I can not say enough good things about our local RC !!!! They helped us when we needed it the most !!!!
    I guess it depends on which RC you have around. Although I haven't had personal experience with them. I am leery of most big charities like this. Most of the monies donated go to administration costs then helping anyone in true need.

As for NPR, I wouldn't let my cat listen to that...lol
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
    My co-workers house burned to the ground. They had 2 small children. The RC put them up in a motel.....then they sent them a bill for the motel charges!
    Dang!!!
    What a blow to an already bad event.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I've only had good experiences with the Red Cross. After the hurricanes came they were there with ice, water, hot meals, showers and more. No charge for anything. This was twice in my area within 2 weeks!
    No complaints from me.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

Blog Entries
    The Red Cross taught me First Aid, Swimming and Water Safety and Jr and Sr. Lifesaving, as well as CPR through courses it offered. My skills and knowledge have been greatly expanded by them, much to my benefit. Maybe their assistance to people in need varies with the local chapter and with donations to the local groups, but I have to put in a good word for what they have done for me in the past.
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Quote Originally Posted by arbed31 View Post
    My dad is a WW2 veteran and hates the Red Cross. It was many years ago but when he talks about them the veins in his head almost pop out.
    My dad was the very same way... & this was a man who we joking said made Mr. Rogers look like a thug, so for something to make him so steamed, it must've been bad!!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I was told the RC charged 10 cents for toothbrushes while soldiers were in the hospital after being shipped from overseas during WW2. The SA did not charge anything.>>

My uncle (survivor of Pearl Harbor) was the same way! He was a very soft spoken, quiet man, but if anybody mentioned the American Red Cross, he would say words that made your hair curl!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    My dad was the very same way... & this was a man who we joking said made Mr. Rogers look like a thug, so for something to make him so steamed, it must've been bad!!!

My father-in-law died and we had NO money, husband just out of boot camp, poor we were, Red Cross would not loan him the money to go to the funeral, BUT the NAVY RELIEF did, and for 20 yrs. my husband would donate to Navy Relief but not to Red Cross. He is still mad at them.

Banned
    The Red Cross pays very high executive salaries; and the % of donations actually going to charitable works is low among other charities
    I never give to them
    My money goes to the Salvation Army and the Southern Baptist group.
    If you look at news coverage of tragedies in the USA - these are the 2 organizations that are there immediately distributing food, clothing etc.

Maybe it depends on which chapter of the Red Cross that is helping.

About 21yrs. ago I had a fire. Lost everything. The RC contacted me and gave us vouchers for new coats, and linens for the whole house. I can't say anything negative about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post

As for NPR, I wouldn't let my cat listen to that...lol
    That is sort of an insulting thing to say. It may not be your thing, but other people like it.

And to all the posters who are saying the veterans in their family hate the RC because they charged for coffee and donuts, please READ the article, the US Army Dept. MADE them charge. They did NOT want to charge.

my father was in the navy during ww2. he had a bad ecperience, wouldn't tell us what, but told us growing up that the red cross was worthless. I wont give to them, mostly because their overhead is higher than other charities I favor.

Blog Entries
    My dad was in the navy during ww2 too, and he hated the RC. I can't remember exactly why, but he would get livid when they were mentioned. He would give to SA, but never a dime to RC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast