Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Scenic Driving Tips from Las Vegas to Flagstaff >

Scenic Driving Tips from Las Vegas to Flagstaff

Scenic Driving Tips from Las Vegas to Flagstaff

Old 01-19-2019, 01:43 PM

Default Scenic Driving Tips from Las Vegas to Flagstaff

We are flying to Las Vegas in mid February. Our plane is to drive to Flagstaff, spend two nights so that we can have a day sightseeing at the south rim of the Grand Canyon. We land at 8:30 am and have all day to get to Flagstaff. I would like some tips on what we should do and see on the way there or in Flagstaff once we arrive. The next day we have set aside for visiting the South Rim. Then, we will spend a second night in Flagstaff before driving back to Vegas to meet up with family.

Thanks for ideas!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:01 PM

I love Vegas, but don't gamble, so I always have to find other stuff to keep me occupied. My favorite place to go in Vegas is Red Rock Canyon. It's only about a 20 minute drive from the strip. There are all kinds of places to stop and take photos or go for a hike. I usually take a picnic lunch and just sit and enjoy the view. Mount Charleston and The Valley of Fire are also wonderful places to get out in nature, but they are a bit farther away. The Hoover Dam is also pretty interesting, but usually very crowded. Lake Mead is also makes for a nice afternoon, but is a bit chilly this time of year to go out for a swim or to go fishing.

I really enjoyed the Atomic Testing Museum, the Mob Museum, and The Neon Museum and Boneyard. As for shows, my absolute favorite is Jubilee at Bally's. It is the only old-Vegas style show that is still in production, and I believe the showgirls still wear the original costumes from the 1950's. Every one I have ever taken to Vegas has told me it was the highlight of their trip. Also, pretty much anything Cirque is a sure bet to awe.

For fun, free stuff to see, there's The Fall of Atlantis at Ceasar's (way in the back of the shops), The Palazzo Waterfall Atrium, The fountains at the Bellagio, and The Fremont Street Experience, especially if you happen to catch the "American Pie" Showing.

If you are going to the Grand Canyon, I recommend a little detour to the Grand Canyon Caverns in Peach Springs Arizona. It is just one of those quirky roadside attractions along Route 66 (Mile Marker 51, if I remember right). There are so many random things going on at that place that you just have to shake your head and go with it. The tour of the caverns that go under the Grand Canyon, and the cars in random places like from the animated movie "Cars" alone are worth the drive. They offer horseback riding and miniature golf, a decent campground, and being in the middle of nowhere, its an amazing place to go star gazing. Each time I go there, I discover something new.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:59 PM

I’d suggest stopping at the Hover Dam and taking the tour to the bottom of the Dam where you can see the turbines and equipment they have in the basement. We did it a few years ago and found it fascinating.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:04 AM

Allow some time for Sedona, AZ on your way to Flagstaff. Beautiful scenery.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:41 AM

Hoover Dam, Route 66, Williams, AZ is a unique fun little town. Their motto is where a "Cowboy dies everyday". They have a shoot out on the main drag somewhere in the town. There is a train ride to the South Rim. DS loved it. Walnut Canyon, close to Flagstaff. I think it is to the East. Fascinating cave dwellings a short walk to them. Be sure to have a Hotel reservation in Flagstaff. We like to just wander and "find" one. We almost didn't in Flagstaff, ended up at a less than desirable one but it was a bed.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:12 AM

Sedona is beautiful, and there is a nice quilt shop there.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:17 PM

From Flaggstaff take the scenic drive to Sedona. Beautiful!
Old 01-21-2019, 12:35 PM

If you are driving east on I-40 from Vegas to Flagstaff, you will be going through Williams, AZ. A great place to stop and stretch your legs while looking at all the old buildings with Rte 66 decor and a small quilt shop call Quilts on Route 66. You can get tickets for a train ride to the Grand Canyon that I hear is quite scenic.

We stayed 2 nights there in a campground. Hubby was sick at the time so I just walked the downtown area.
Link to quilt shop: https://quiltsonroute66.com/
Old 01-21-2019, 01:52 PM

I knew my quilting board buddies would come through with some great suggestions. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2019, 05:17 AM

To those who know the area, will driving conditions be ok next week. Tuesday drive from LV to Flagstaff. Wednesday drive to south rim. Thursday drive back to Las Vegas.

Thanks!