Selling Practices

Old 01-13-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045
Here we go again.
Ditto!!! I much preferred it back when when no one sold anything to anyone. Now I just avoid that whole section, my choice, no problem. :roll: If you don't like it, don't go there.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:23 PM

I’ve bought things through the classified ads here from time to time – fabric, notions, and books. No problems and no great dollar amounts. I would much rather send money to a quilter than someone who picks up books or fabric at yard sales and has no attachments. I like knowing my purchase was bought from love.

That being said, at least 2-3 times a year here, police bust con artists selling high end sewing and embroidery machines through auctions ands then not delivering goods as promised. Sometimes, the items were stolen, sometimes rebuilt and not new, and sometimes never delivered at all.

Flea market vendors here have also been caught selling misbegotten wares locally. Cash businesses, and no records kept of where goods came from. I would hate to spend a lot for a machine, then have police confiscate it as soon as my registration was sent in for the warranty. If you sent money to a mail drop or a paypal account that no longer exists, you'd be out.

One recent offer from a first-time poster sounded exactly like that. No picture of the actual item, and an insistence that she could not return it to the reputable store it was purchased from.. I was very relieved when it was removed. Perhaps Rivka did not see that ad, so she did not understand the situation on that particular ad.

Since con artists are not likely to wait x number of days before posting, I am more inclined to think that is a good solution, but not sure how or if that would be do-able.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:35 PM

That is whyI liked the rating system Admin proposed. If you have a bad experience let us know if it is good let us know.

How can we get to know what is good or bad if no one let's us know.
What is best way to handle this??????/
Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 PM

I too have noticed an increased number of posters that are offering something for sale the same day or a few days after joining. But, it is true, that we have the choice to totally ignore that part of this awesome board, so it's no problem for me.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:08 PM

I'm a new member, but I've noticed decently priced fabric, patterns etc. offered here seem to fly out the door. Before I can even decide if I want to buy it, it's already sold most of the time. So, I don't think competition is an issue. My 2 cents:>
Old 01-13-2010, 10:25 PM

IMHO....I often visit the classified section and from personal experience, I've never had a problem. However, since I do visit this section so often, I have seen where some people have their first posting as something for sale. They often don't remember to check back for extended periods of time to see if anyone has responded to their ads. To me, (only MY opinion) these people are only here to make sales of whatever sort they have.
I agree that if someone doesn't like seeing something, don't go there. But I also see the point about the very first post someone puts up is an item for sale.
That being said, I leave things in the capable hands of the administrator. :D Have faith and trust that Admin. will do the right thing. (seems that Admin. hasn't done wrong for us yet) :D
Old 01-13-2010, 11:07 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks for bringing this up BW. :-D

Although I don't look in Classifieds much as most members are in the US and I'm in France so shipping would preclude me from buying things, I am aware that there does seem to be an increase in the number of 'classified advertisers'.

I hadn't seen the posts of the person who is referred to, but am happy to take BW's and Moonpi's word for it.

My understanding was that the classified section existed as a service to members who wished to buy or sell 'one off' items, NOT as a commercial thing. I appreciate the comment 'if you don't like it don't go there' - I don't and I don't! But the question is, is the board being exploited for financial gain by being used as a market place by people who aren't 'real' members? If so, and if it's becoming endemic, then it should be addressed. I'm so sorry, I have no suggestions at this stage as to how. Will give it some thought. :D
Old 01-14-2010, 03:29 AM
Administrator

when i open a classified ad, the first thing i check is the member's join date.

if they've been here less than 6 months, i next check their profile to see their posting history.

if their history is overloaded with classifieds to sell i consider that person a poser. that is, somebody pretending to be a member who is here only to stick her/his hand into our pockets. i resent that.

the board is free to us. it is not free to Admin. there are expenses involved. advertising revenue can offset those expenses. ideally, they would generate some profit. the more often he breaks even or makes a profit, the more he can afford to add to the board and offer to us for free.

people who want to exploit board members as a market should have to pay for their ads. that way, the rest of us can remain free to post occassional ads offering our extra supplies to each other at rock bottom prices without having to pay any membership or advert fees.

our classified section was created to give members an easy way to buy/sell/trade amongst ourselves so we can help each other makes ends meet. it was never intended as a place for professionals to ply their wares.

let's say you belong to a quilt guild. members are allowed to bring things to meetings to buy/sell/trade with each other. some creep shows up and "joins" but the first thing out of her mouth is "i have such a deal for you." all that member ever contributes to guild meetings are "opportunities" to get in on "bargains". (she may drop in a line or two of general conversation to "cover her tracks".) are you seriously going to tell me that wouldn't ruffle just about every feather in the guild? they'd run her out of town on a rail, nicely tarred and feathered.

the same principle applies here. we are a vitual guild; an ongoing party among friends; a huge extended family. the issue is not whether the seller is honest. the issue is whether the seller is truly one of us or just somebody hoping we're stupid enough to believe they are so they can take our money and run laughing to the bank.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Glad to see this posted. I too had noticed and was wondering. Thanks for staying on top of things.
I noticed too.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by beachlady
When I look at the classifieds and don't know the name I always look at the joining date. I have only bought a couple of things here and so far so good. I would not buy from a newbie and I think some of the things posted lately have been priced way too high.
I agree with you. If they have just joined and their first post is selling something, I shy away.