Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing on vinyl

Sewing on vinyl

Does anyone have advice for sewing on vinyl? I'm making wallets and luggage tags and no matter what I do my presser foot sticks and the vinyl wrinkles. I've used a Teflon foot. I've put tissue paper under and on top of the vinyl. Still doesn't look good. Please help!

Blog Entries
    I saw a hint on Pinterest where someone put magic scotch tape on the bottom of the foot. I haven't tried it but can't hurt...

http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog...ing-vinyl.aspx
    Last edited by virtualbernie; 06-08-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: to add a link
    Bernie

Try your walking foot with the tissue paper.

Can you adjust your presser foot pressure on your machine? If so, loosen it, and instead of the tissue paper try some parchment paper. It is a bit heavier but less likely to bind.

I've used painters masking tape over the area to be stitched. Helps greatly. It did leave a bit of residue on the needle, but that was easily removed with a baby wipe (my cure all cleaner for most uses).
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

I have used a roller foot.
    Sweet Caroline

I use the roller foot too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    I have used a roller foot.

I have a teflon foot that is great for vinyl or leather.

I have sewn on vinyl - I used adding machine tape on the bottom (but I don't know if that is still available).
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    I had a foot that had a roller in it that worked well. or you could use a teflon foot. i think i have one that looks like white plastic.

Blog Entries
    I used to use teflon grease - can you still buy that?
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

There is a roller foot that is useful. However, the best one may be to adjust the pressure of your foot if possible.

I used the teflon foot and it worked great.
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    I used silicone spray. When i worked at a upholstery shop. Just sprayed the vinyl and sewed beautifully.

Blog Entries
    maybe it was silicone grease - it has been 35 years ago... worked like a charm
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

A very, very long item ago I made a rain cape out of vinyl. The way I solved the sticking problem was with lonq, thin pieces of paper between the presser foot/needle combination and then the vinyl. My choice of paper was newsprint: came free with the morning news, disintegrated well when I ripped or soaked it off. Do not use the printed on part!

Yes, it was a pain but my Elna SU didn't drop a stitch and is still going 36 years later. I may have my ashes inserted in it and then sealed somehow. Elna Supers rule! The cape ultimately went to Good Will - also years later.

Pat

I made some vinyl covers for a friend's display cases. He does antique and gun shows. I just used a leather needle and heavy duty thread and sewed it on my vintage Kenmore. I didn't have any problems with it. You probably need to use a longer stitch than usual. I think I used about an 8. He's been using them for months without any problem. The vinly I used did have a fabric backing. Maybe that's what the problem is. Does your's have a fabric backing?
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I haven't sewn any vinyl on my home sewing machines. I did sew miles and miles of it when I owned my Upholstery shop. I had a Pfaff 545 industrial machine with a walking foot. It sewed vinyl like there was no tomorrow.

I do know..........be very careful in where you place your stitching. Cause if you make a mistake, it's start over time. Vinyl and leather are so unforgiving when it comes to needle marks.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Blog Entries
    wax paper works real good with a all purpose foot -We reulpholstered a cabin cruiser last year and the softer type vynil was a pain til we finally tried wax paper from then on it went smooth as a babies bottom. Oh you will have to change needles quite often if its a large project -once the needle gets dull it will also give you a little problem feeding and the holes start looking like you used a hole punch instead of a needleand the other thing I learned while doing that project was I really hate sewing vynil

My first thought would be to try baby powder or cornstarch on the vinyl. Just an idea....
    ABCDEFG

Many years ago I sewed a diaper bag out of vinyl with cloth backing. I found top stitching to be
    very difficult....after trying a number of things, I use petroleum jelly, and the foot on that old
    machine moved right along without skipping a stitch. Making straps for the bag was a breeze,
    even with the thickness. Just applied a bit as I went along.

June in Cincinnati

I just wonder if it would be s good idea to lengthen the stitch length.

I have used the water solveable with great sucess bomus it you can see what your sewing!!! and a little longer stitch lenth and lighten up your presure on the preser foot. Hope this helps.
    It's always sunny here in Fl unless it's raining,LOL