Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should shed color match the house?

Should shed color match the house?

We just painted our house yellow with white trim. I think we should paint the shed the same color, but hubby thinks we should leave it the barn red it is. What is your opinion?

Power Poster
    I do love the little red sheds that look like a barn. Red is a hard colour to cover with yellow so unless you want to paint it several times, I would vote for leaving it red.

i love the barn red. i vote to leave it barn red.
    ​debra

Blog Entries
    I have to agree with the ladies and say that I love the barn red.

Blog Entries
    i love a red barn. if it was any other color, i'd paint it to match the house
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

we live on 5 acres with lots of trees so we make all our out buildings/sheds dark green so they blend in rather than stand out. I guess it depends on the look you want.

I'm with you. I would want it to match the house.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Paint? What is paint? We have an old planer shed that is tilting to one side and has never seen paint. The wood is now all weathered, beautiful black, brown and yellow. Most of the buildings here are over 60 years old and have a lot of character.

I think when it matches the house, it gives the entire yard a nicer look. Tell hubby, you will bake him a batch of brownies if he bows down to your request.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I think having it matching yellow would look fabulous! Another vote in your corner.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

I like the idea of keeping it red.

If it is close to the house I would vote for yellow. Further away red would be OK.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

How often do you paint? I'm thinking the sun will do a number on a red shed. Like noted earlier, depending on how far away from the house would dictate the color for me.
    Never outsmart your common sense.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
    I'm with you. I would want it to match the house.
    I am a matchy person too, I would match the house. its really up to you, if you want it a different color, what does it matter as long as youlike it. Your the one that has to see it everyday
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    Matching don't necessarily mean it is the same color.....I'd leave it red....

It doesn't have to look like a mini house or guest house- it's a shed. I'd be opting to leave it and save the paint,labour and expense...but up to you in the end.

Blog Entries
    I think a lot of that depends on where you live. I have lived with our shed a brown color but our home a nice gray color for 6 yrs now and it has not killed me. I do not like it but live with it. Of course if had a red one I would not complain
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Leave it red but paint a quilt block on it. I think they look fantastic. I want one on my garden shed but have yet to persuade hubby that it's ok even if we do live in the UK!!
    There is nothing you can do to make God love you more and nothing you can do to make Him love you less.

If the paint on the shed is in good shape, I'd leave it red. As another poster said, it's going to be a huge pain to cover red with yellow...I also like the idea of a barn quilt on the red shed..you can use yellow in the barn quilt and that will tie it all together for you!

Blog Entries
    Just curious what colour was the house before your painted? Was it barn red?

How close is the shed to the house? Can it be seen from the road? Can you see all sides of the shed?

Who would be doing the painting? If you are the one who will be wielding the paintbrush and buying the paint then go for it. If you have to pay someone else to paint are you will to pay out of your personal budget? As others have said you will need a lot of paint to cover the red. First a very thick undercoat, perhaps two coats of it, then at least 2 coats of yellow. Lastly the trim will nee to be painted out. I would guess about 6 days of work, just for the painting, another 2-3 for the prep.

From where I am sitting I can see into three neighbours back yards. One has a clear stained cedar shed, the house is creamy yellow. Another has a white shed that matches their house, the third has a blue shed and white house. All look good.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Unless you invest in a lot of KILZ, I would leave it. When the sun is out the shed may look orange or melon colored.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    I think when it matches the house, it gives the entire yard a nicer look. Tell hubby, you will bake him a batch of brownies if he bows down to your request.
    That's a lot of work - I think you need to come up with something more than brownies!

When I painted my house yellow down in Florida, I added a red front and back door, painted my clay flower pots red too to add to the front porch. It was just enough accent to add to what could have been a small older style home.............at least for me. I noticed later other homes were getting painted the same color scheme. This was out of my comfort zone too.

Blog Entries
    As a retired painter and I also had the same difference of opinion with my DH -PAINT the shed-otherwise it will drive you crazier then a crooked picture. As a rule out buildings should match the house. Covering that awful red won't be as bad as some would think. The paint stores will tint the primer to make it easier. I prefer Zinnsver but Kilz is also a good product. Take a sample of the yellow with you and they will know how much to tint it - Prime the whole trim and all covering yellow with white paint is so much easier -Go see SherwinWilliams

I painted our shed to match the house.......much better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast